Supercharger Help

danielbrookes

Strange. Liberally squirting the groove side of pulley whilst outlet is disconnected from plenum makes no difference, no slip at all. It behaves itself when disconnected with and without water spray.

I’ll crack on with the tensioner anyway as it sounds like that’s a requirement regardless.

Tried using an additional idler and getting the belt as tight as possible no joy.  I’ve admitted defeat and bought a proper tensioner, the same one linked actually.

Ive noticed that the supercharger pulley gets very hot quickly even after 30 seconds or running.  I guess that adds to the belt slipping conclusion, makes sense it gets hot.

Really hope the tensioner sorts it as I’ve spent months getting to this stage and it feels like I’m so close.

6CAAF7AF-F521-40CB-BA95-1BE973115E13.jpeg

Edited by danielbrookes

Have you got the original (new) bearing in the Supercharger’s pulley or are you using something different to original spec?

I’ve had no end of problems in that area (when drifting away from original spec bearing) and it gets red-hot and melts the belt and can knacker the charger.

On some of my older build threads, you can see I use a different bearing to the original spec one (two thin bearings instead of one wide bearing) - these are no good and I had to ditch them and revert to the original style of bearing.

8 minutes ago, richardm6994 said:

Have you got the original (new) bearing in the Supercharger’s pulley or are you using something different to original spec?

I’ve had no end of problems in that area (when drifting away from original spec bearing) and it gets red-hot and melts the belt and can knacker the charger.

On some of my older build threads, you can see I use a different bearing to the original spec one (two thin bearings instead of one wide bearing) - these are no good and I had to ditch them and revert to the original style of bearing.

It’s a new bearing it came with my reduced pulley - the guy I bought it off seems to know his stuff and had good reviews on eBay.  I just don’t have the skill or tools to make one myself unfortunately.

It’s a roller bearing 30mm X 47mm X 22mm.

Yeah that’s the correct size bearing so that’s some good news.

if you have means of transporting your car and as you’re a RHOCaR member, I’m more than happy do donate a day or so at my workshop with you there if you get stuck with this one.

The only time I’ve encountered really hot supercharger pulley (so hot you can’t touch them) is because the charger itself is failing / has failed.....for me, it was the pulley bearing that collapsed and this lead to further problems inside the charger casing / rotors.

7 minutes ago, richardm6994 said:

Yeah that’s the correct size bearing so that’s some good news.

if you have means of transporting your car and as you’re a RHOCaR member, I’m more than happy do donate a day or so at my workshop with you there if you get stuck with this one.

The only time I’ve encountered really hot supercharger pulley (so hot you can’t touch them) is because the charger itself is failing / has failed.....for me, it was the pulley bearing that collapsed and this lead to further problems inside the charger casing / rotors.

That’s really kind and helpful if you Rich, thanks for the offer.

Well a day in the garage and no further forward. Tensioner fitted (belt is now really, really tight).

Should the supercharger pulley get too hot to touch within literally 10 seconds of running?  

All the pulleys seem to be aligned and I don’t see how I can get the belt any tighter.

If I spin the supercharger pulley by hand it seems OK but clearly that’s not very fast - is there a way of testing the charger? 

Evening Richy, yea it’s got both inlet (including bypass valve) and outlet connected up.  

I have filter > throttle > bypass valve > inlet > charger > outlet (if that makes sense).  

The bypass is between the throttle butterfly and the inlet of charger. I tried manually opening the bypass valve, which opened fine, but made no difference to squeal.

Im thinking of hooking the charger up to my drill as a test... with no belt attached.

4 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

Do you have a blow off valve between the outlet of the charger and the inlet manifold? 

No, I only have the bypass valve (from a mini). I didn’t think a blow of valve was required - but that was based on my research and I am by no means an expert!

You have my cogs turning now, especially as I don’t have any issues when outlet is disconnected.

I have supercharger outlet > intercooler > second throttle > plenum.

So how are you controlling the boost?

Can you disconnect the charger outlet and just vent it to atmosphere. This will eliminate over boost inside the charger and you can try and bottom out the heat issue. 

• Thanks 1