Newbie here (how to sorce parts)

Jon

Hi folks

I just like to say hello to you all and I'm looking forward to being part of the club.

I've not yet got my robbin hood and I'm still debating weather to get one already built or build my self I must say I've always wanted to build myself one I'm very capable of doing so coming for a mechanical background. My question us tho where do I get all the parts I need, I've seen a few 2b chassis for sale and I no I need a Donor car.

But what about panels nose cone and things. Is it still possible to build from just having a chassis. 

I believe half the fun is in building it yourself and making friends along the way. 

Edited by Jon
Added to title

Hi Jon,

you need to consider your budget and also how much time you have available. A self build is satisfying and frustrating in equal measure and that's why a lot of kits end up unfinished. Anything not already registered will need an IVA test so budget £1000 for the test and first years road tax.

If you bought just a chassis, everything else like panels is available but the more you can get in a single package, the cheaper it will be as the cost soon mounts up buying small parts. Regarding donor parts, again you can get them separately off places like Ebay but if you plan on IVAing the car and don't want a Q plate, you need the donor V5 and ideally the engine number needs to match the V5.

Consider unfinished projects that already come with the mechanicals, arches, nosecone etc. Be wary of cheap, older cars that say they're registered - they may not be registered correctly which can cause problems at a later date.

There was an older built car in the classifieds area that need a tidy and IVA and although it needs work, it's needs a lot less than building something from scratch.

If in doubt, ask on the forum and you'll get an informed response.

Great info nelmo but font agree with the part in have all the money ready and not buy the parts as and when you need them. That's fine for the people that have 12 grand put by, in the past about 25yrs ago now I have restored a MG midget from the ground up and built a Monty carlo mini rally car. I've just finish a boat. And all done with buying the parts when I can afford them.

A kit car will be a first for me and my only concern was sourcing the bits if I just bought a chassis as there are a few about.

I would love yo find one like richy has mentioned that would be great for me and a great start price 😁👍

35 minutes ago, Jon said:

Great info nelmo but font agree with the part in have all the money ready and not buy the parts as and when you need them. That's fine for the people that have 12 grand put by, in the past about 25yrs ago now I have restored a MG midget from the ground up and built a Monty carlo mini rally car. I've just finish a boat. And all done with buying the parts when I can afford them. 

That's fine, just my opinion - I didn't want my build to last 25 years 😁. For me, I got annoyed having to wait a few days for a part to arrive - if I'd also had to wait until pay day, I would have probably given up.