IVA and Sliding Pillar front suspension.

Wavey

Hello !

I'm new to RHOCAR as of this week. I've acquired a 2004 Project 2B car which has the sliding Pillar suspension 😞

It was my intention to attempt an IVA with this car. But as I don't have a VIN plate for the RH or donor Sierra, I'm not off to a good start! Does any one know if the sliding pillar suspension will pass IVA? I haven't seen any for sale that are registered with this type of suspension...

Thanks in advance !

David.

There's plenty of sliding pillar cars on the road, no reason why they won't pass IVA. If you don't have a VIN plate for the Sierra donor then you'll need to go the Q plate route.

VIN number for the RH can either be applied for from DVSA or you can make up your own. It's probably worth checking what others who have taken IVA recently have done regarding the VIN number as the process have always been a bit open to interpretation from DVLA/DVSA side.

18 hours ago, richyb66 said:

There's plenty of sliding pillar cars on the road, no reason why they won't pass IVA. If you don't have a VIN plate for the Sierra donor then you'll need to go the Q plate route.

VIN number for the RH can either be applied for from DVSA or you can make up your own. It's probably worth checking what others who have taken IVA recently have done regarding the VIN number as the process have always been a bit open to interpretation from DVLA/DVSA side.

I just applied to the DVLA via a letter - it's in my build thread somewhere - and got a VIN assigned within a week or so. It was no hassle at all. Thus :

Dear Sirs,

I am constructing a self-build kit car and would like to stamp the VIN number into the chassis in accordance with the IVA regulations. My local DVLA branch advised me that the correct process is to contact yourselves and request a new VIN number for allocation on my vehicle. Therefore please accept this letter as a formal request to the above.
If I can assist you with any queries please do not hesitate to call me on <blah blah>.
Yours faithfully,

<blah blah>

You then put it on the chassis somewhere (I stamped it on a steel plate then welded that onto the chassis), along with the more traditional VIN/chassis ID plate (the tin one with axle weights/etc on it) somewhere more visible - that you can buy from GBS or a number of places.

Thanks for the replies. I do have the V5 for the Sierra, but I also have a letter from the DVLA saying my uncle is no longer the registered keeper of the car. I think my Uncle has taken the bits he needs from the Sierra, and then informed the DVLA that the car (shell at least) has been scrapped along with the VIN plate. 

There is so much that needs doing to the 2b to get it IVA'ed, my most likely route is to sell it on as an unfinished project or for spares - which is a real shame, but I don't think I have the time or the patience. The build quality is varied and a lot (most?) of it will need to be re-done or modified. 

That should be fine, you WANT to prove to the DVLA that the old chassis has been scrapped. I took photos of the old chassis being cut up and disposed of, in case they asked for evidence. I kept the chassis plate and VIN number (chopped out of the chassis) myself, so that (i) there was definitely no ID on the scrapped chassis that could have been taken by a nefarious scrap dealer but also (ii) so that I could show evidence if the DVLA asked for it. As soon as I got the new car sorted, I disposed of them.

23 hours ago, phaeton said:

Not done an IVA but did 5 SVA's never requested a Vin from DVLA I just made mine up, as far as I know they just have to be 17 digits long.

... And unique but I imagine the DVLA check that as part of the registration process and would tell you if it wasn't. With 100,000,000,000,000,000 permutations, you would be pretty unlucky to hit the same as someone else 😁