1st time turnover cont contd

zhap135

Hello all, this is a continuation of a couple of threads that I started a few weeks ago.

So, Sierra S7, 1.6 pinto engine. New fuse box. Fresh petrol. Recently serviced ford VV carb (yes I know 🙄...) new starter motor and battery.

I've got to the stage where I get ignition and the engine turns over a few times (sounding quite healthy), and then peters out. Try to restart and the same happens. sometimes farting and coughing from the carb as it runs down.

I'm reading up and doing web searches, but any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks all!

There is, the anti dieseling solenoid. I've bench tested it, and can hear it click when turning on the ignition so I think that's fine. I may well check again though.

COuld it be a mixture issue? there is an idle mix adjust as well as an idle speed. I've been trying to find how to check that it's okay, but so far can only find how to adjust when the engine is running which is of course the problem 🤣

Ok idle mix screw approx one turn out from full in.  
hold throttle open slightly while cranking 

if nothing spray some brake cleaner /easy start in carb - does it start for a second or 2 ? 

If yes fuel problem if no look at spark 

but from how your description reads it sounds like fuel as car would not try to start if it was spark 

5 hours ago, Peter Bell said:

Sounds like a fuel supply problem if it starts but then stops. Is your pump working ok, blocked filter?

Thanks Peter, not a fuel supply issue, carb is allowing plenty through when we start. I have not been able to locate a fuel filter. It certainly does not appear to be in teh carb. This i sinteresting, as in the Haynes manual it is a discrete unit. Interesting, may need to get that rectified!

Edited by zhap135

5 hours ago, blue said:

Ok idle mix screw approx one turn out from full in.  
hold throttle open slightly while cranking 

if nothing spray some brake cleaner /easy start in carb - does it start for a second or 2 ? 

If yes fuel problem if no look at spark 

but from how your description reads it sounds like fuel as car would not try to start if it was spark 

Hello again Blue, I think we had a few chat's on my earlier threads - thanks for all your previous help if I didn't say so before

Everything is starting, and we get fuel coming into the carb. The issue becomes apparent  when the ignition key is released. I'm starting to get a horrible suspicion that maybe it's only firing when the starter motor is activiated.  I think my next bit is to verify the wiring (again 🙄🤣)

17 minutes ago, zhap135 said:

Thanks Peter, not a fuel supply issue, carb is allowing plenty through when we start. I have not been able to locate a fuel filter. It certainly does not appear to be in teh carb. This i sinteresting, as in the Haynes manual it is a discrete unit. Interesting, may need to get that rectified!

Although on second look the filter is in the section about injection systems and not mentioned int eh carb fuel system section🤯

So were the early carbed sierras fitted with a filter?

Hi. Yes we have. 
ok if you hold the key engaging the starter and the engine sounds like it’s running check the main earth as sometimes the engine earths through the starter if the main earth is poor. 

Sounds like you have a problem with the ignition wiring, Some setups are when cranking the coil gets 12v then when released it goes through a resistor dropping the voltage to 9v, which is the normal operating supply. The resistor may have gone or connection failed. Have you changed any of the wiring?

Haven’t rewired  the ford connector to the ignition switch by any chance?

Edited by Peter Bell

22 hours ago, blue said:

Hi. Yes we have. 
ok if you hold the key engaging the starter and the engine sounds like it’s running check the main earth as sometimes the engine earths through the starter if the main earth is poor. 

20 hours ago, Peter Bell said:

Sounds like you have a problem with the ignition wiring, Some setups are when cranking the coil gets 12v then when released it goes through a resistor dropping the voltage to 9v, which is the normal operating supply. The resistor may have gone or connection failed. Have you changed any of the wiring?

Haven’t rewired  the ford connector to the ignition switch by any chance?

On 6/11/2020 at 10:28 PM, theduck said:

Ignition timing ok? 

Is there a fuel cut off on the carb that needs 12v when ignition is on? That caught me out on a couple carbs.

Success!

Peter, you were pretty close . I started to suspect during the week that my transfer of the ford wiring looms to a CBS fuse box might be causing an issue. The other night my daughter was helping me by turning the key so I could get close the engine to see what was happening. She held the starter motor going (obvs you and I would release as soon as we got ignition) and the engine stayed on for longer. I didn't cotton on at the time but it did stick in my mind and kept coming back.

last night I expose all the wiring and found a couple of  circuits which were incompatible between the module and the ford wiring loom. As things were set up the coil was only receiving juice from the starter motor, hence it petered out when the key was released, but kept going when my daughter did it. My bench testing was not sufficient to pick up these issues.

So a bit of rerouting and splicing later, and I now have full ignition. Also the horn relay now works, when it didn't before. Weirdly the horn doesn't, although when routed directly.

Have a couple of issues that have surfaced which weren't apparent before. Now the headlights don't work, and interestingly the engine turns when the hazards are switched on (but only in time with the blinkers)🤪🤯🤣

Just want to say thanks so much all for responding to posts. This is the first time that the engine has fired in the best part of 20 years, since my Dad died. We were working on it together, but I moved away and got married, and I've only really had chance to work on it over the past couple of years, and then infrequently. It's like it's come alive again.

1 hour ago, zhap135 said:

Just want to say thanks so much all for responding to posts. This is the first time that the engine has fired in the best part of 20 years, since my Dad died. We were working on it together, but I moved away and got married, and I've only really had chance to work on it over the past couple of years, and then infrequently. It's like it's come alive again.

That's a great story - well done for doing that 👍😁

• Like 1

Well done so far, it sounds like you may have an earth problem somewhere, re the lights there were 2 types of indicator switches with earths in different positions, if you do a search on here you may find the correct earth pin number. I suspect Longboarder knows off the top of his head. 

BTW are you near Shefford?