expansion bottle

max

10 hours ago, max said:

does  any one use a expansion bottle on a 2l sierra set up or just a rad with std fan ?

Hi Max, 

Welcome to the club, I have a 2B and have a 4-core mini radiator, having an expansion tank piped from the stat housing and an overflow bottle from the rad pipe see the picture.

Kit Car  (6c).jpg

thanks guys for your help, just about halfway through the rebuild bought as engine and box out wiring loom out and a big box of bits 😢

Edited by max

This confused m for years. The car would get hot, water would spray out from under the hood. I eventually worked out it was from the rad neck designed to off load expanded water. I drilled a hole in a flask, strapped it under the cone and put the tubing into it. Now escaping water fills the flask and then sucks it back when cooling 

Guest red robin

I am converting to waterless coolant due to expansion problems where my exp bottle can’t be mounted high enough to avoid an air pocket building in in a top hose.

2 hours ago, red robin said:

I am converting to waterless coolant due to expansion problems where my exp bottle can’t be mounted high enough to avoid an air pocket building in in a top hose.

would like to know more please

Guest red robin

Europarts sell waterless coolant it’s a refrigerant with a much higher boiling point than water so no pressure / steam at normal running temps. You can get 50% discount from their codes.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/evans-power-cool-180-waterless-coolant-5ltr-993778001?type=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwirz3BRD_ARIsAImf7LM1VP0t0B3WeQBzLgbykm_HsLN_wzMMVKnnpPgYf88xypw6T71HUbAaAtLZEALw_wcB

(Before Waterless Coolant) you need EVANS PREP FLUID to clean your engine.

Not cheap to change from water to waterless 

Just under £100.00 to prep and fill with 5 litres.

Then you will need another 5 litres to fill your system so would be looking at about £150.00 to change over.

Be interested to hear how you get on, but are you going to run into problems because the Rover T16 is designed to run with a pressurised cooling system ?    Like you I have always found the top hose to be empty when the engine is cold, but it hasn't had any effect on the cooling system and fills up when the engine is hot.  My Superspec happily runs at 90-93C and I haven't had to top up the expansion bottle for over a year.