expansion bottle

max

Has the car actually been overheating ?   Most Superspecs seem to run on the cool side, mainly because of the enormous SD1 radiator.  I only managed to get mine up to a decent temperature by blanking off part of the grill.

Guest red robin

Sits around 85 degrees normal pottering around. Gets hot in traffic even with radiator fan on full and heater fan. Had the radiator cap pop once to release pressure. I normally leave the radiator fan on full as soon as it’s warm 80 degree

Guest red robin

Intercooler pipes get quite warm almost to hot to touch, I was hoping to get better cooling to the intercooler and improve efficiency of main radiator by getting a more efficient radiator and standing it vertical allowing me to duct more air at the intercooler 

85C is a reasonable., although with 80C generally accepted as the minimum I like to run a bit hotter than that. Like you, when the car is stationary in traffic with the fan on my car struggles not to overheat.  One thing I didn't mention is I upped the pressure cap on the expansion bottle from 13psi to 21psi thereby allowing the coolant to run a greater pressure, hence higher boiling point.

However, I can't really compare your car to mine, as yours is turbo with the intercooler, and if you have a heater fitted that is also non-standard for the Superspec.   As to replacing the radiator, I find the SD1 one is OK, with the severe mounting angle offset by the large surface area.   As you mostly suffer at low speed you might consider a more powerful fan as the one that came with the kit is very cheap & cheerful.

Edited by alanrichey