Louvre punching

Mrbarry

I want some custom louvres punching into my bonnet, first some rear facing ones to cool the engine bay, but more importantly some rolled louvres to let cold air into the ITBs. Has anyone had any done or know of any reputable places, ideally midlands based.

I intend making a duct from the rear plate of the sausage filter on the Jenvey ITBs to seal to the side of the hood, holes in the hood will then give a clean cold air feed. 

I did think of putting the foam sausage filter on the outside but after a test fit I decided it looked like *bleep* and a better solution was needed 🤣

Look good those. I want those style vents on my bonnet top, but the shark gill vents on the drivers side feeding my ITBs via a cowling to make sure I get clean cool air in. Let the noise out too 😈

Plan is to use hollow boot lid rubber on the cowling to seal air tight to the inside of the bonnet and draw external air only. I’m fitting a triple tow of those vents at the front edge of the bonnet and carrying the outer two rows down the full length of the bonnet. The triple rows will have a 9 inch Spal fan Fed via a stat blowing air up out of the engine bay when it’s hot in there. 

This is how I want the vents punching in. These black stickers are a bit wobbly and not identical sizes etc but they give a good idea of what I want to do. The nose cone will have a large exit vent at the rear and a channeled radiator duct to get hot air away. Will seal the rad to the nose cone obvs. 

841B0DDE-C7DA-485A-8AF7-95DB373C63CE.jpeg

For the ones I want on the side. The others will be additional cost. I don’t much care what it costs if the quality is good tho. I’d rather pay more and be happy with the workmanship. Im sure lots of people could do as good a job, however I also know some people have a very low bar 🤣

Standard louvres are not so bad lots of people have tooling for those. But the ones on the side are less common and I’m a huge stickler for level, straight and true. If one is out by 1mm I’ll go mental. 

Yeah I thought that to be honest. I could have a row or standard louvres or bolt on a plate off eBay for a fiver. But I don’t want that I want something I can look and feel I have done my best, or paid for it at least 🤣

Nothing wrong with standard louvres on the top of the bonnet but for my taste those would be better on the side. Again that depends on the individual car to be fair. 

Have you ever taped thread or wool to each of your vents, or the odd one, and watched the air flow at different speeds? I have taped some yellow thread to a few places on the zero and been for a drive. You get some strange results in some places. From the front of the nose cone is really weird how it changes direction on and off. Would love to see how the louvres move air around.