Smiths water gauge

Mrbarry

Does anyone have the wiring colours for a Smiths flight water gauge? I’ve searched the web and can’t find them. 

My water temp has always seemed to get high in traffic so I had a play today. I plugged the laptop in and it seems my ECU and flight gauge are 18-19 degrees different right thru the range. I used a IR temp reading from the water pipe off the water pump (the feed to the senders) and the ECU reads the same as the IR reading to within 1 degree from 38-90 degrees. I have double checked it with a K-type thermocouple at rest and it also agrees with the ECU. 

Next step was to take resistance readings from the sender but it’s log not linear so I can’t add a simple resistor in series. I did some playing and testing and finally found that if I use a diode in series dropping the voltage by 0.6v across the range and it is now reading within 4 degrees of the ECU from 50-90 degrees. I’m happy with that. But I have been working on the sender and I want to put the diode behind the clocks, the wire colours are totally different hence the need for a diagram. 

Hi.  EVERYONE I’ve spoken to has this problem with the flight gauges. you would think for such an expensive setup they would be more effective ~ you can send them back for re calibration but I think it’s poor there so far out to start with. 

I have the wiring dia and will dig it out. 

The thing to do with the gauges is to get used to what they normally show and only worry if they start showing something different - ignore the numbers. As long as the sensor to the ECU is working right, the gauge is just to warn you of a change in the status quo.

My coolant temp gauge always shows 5-10 degC less than the Emerald software gets from the main sensor, my voltage gauge is always 1V less than a multimeter across the battery and the less said about my fuel gauge, the better 😃

If you want accurate gauges, buy a normal car...🙃

• Thanks 1

Thanks that’s great. 
I have done a couple of hours of googling and couldn’t find the drawing. I think THAT is also very poor. I did manage to find dozens of forums where people had the same problem, or where they read low or just don’t work.
I also found from past experience that my fuel gauge was wrongly programmed, at least they agreed I could send it back to have the correct software installed. It seems all of their gauges are the same internally and simply have different software installed, it’s common for them to put the wrong software in. That’s very VERY poor for even a small business let alone a so called reputable one. 
As for returning the temp gauge to be calibrated, From the forums I found even after they had been recalibrated they still generally read well out.