Road tax

Guest Big G

Guest Big G

Hi all,

Could someone tell me what the Robin Hood standard 2ltr Pinto road tax is this year. Seems they have hiked the fee since last year quite a lot, the only good news is the six month MOT extension. 

Thanks....G

It’s time they abolished it. Add two pence per L on fuel and it’s fair. More miles, more fuel, more tax paid. No one can dodge it. No admin costs. No need to check if you have it. No need to SORN. No need to have different bands for gas guzzlers they will use more fuel thus pay more tax. I just don’t see the problem. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mrbarry said:

It’s time they abolished it. Add two pence per L on fuel and it’s fair. More miles, more fuel, more tax paid. No one can dodge it. No admin costs. No need to check if you have it. No need to SORN. No need to have different bands for gas guzzlers they will use more fuel thus pay more tax. I just don’t see the problem. 

I posed the same question to our MP a couple of years ago, other than I didn't suggest 2p, I suggested that they knew how much revenue was received, they also knew how many litres had been sold so the additional would be an easy calculation. He forwarded it as a Parliamentary question to the Dept of Transport or whatever they are now called. They wrote back to me via him basically stating it would have an adverse effect on rural dwellers & as such they would not be doing it. But I am in full agreement with you, the cost saving would be huge, on the administration alone.

2p/L was purely illustrative but yeah. You can find the number of litres sold per year from the web easily and I’m sure it wouldnt be hard to find the number of cars and total duty paid. Might have a google later out of interest. 

• Like 1

Guest Big G

The DVLA have got you all ways. I taxed mine yesterday and it was for six months, but in effect It's not because it runs from the start of the month. Six months should be six months not less three weeks in their favour. As Dave said the cost per mile for enthusiasts like us is too high.

Not only that I sold my BMW bike on Friday night & rode it over to the new owners house, he was insuring & VED'ing it from Saturday, they will refund me from the 1st of July, but charge him from the 1st June, so they double bubble this month.

Meanwhile you've got these cheeky buggers running around in electric cars entirely for free! Maybe we should all do this magical switch to electric and imagine how on earth the government are going to fund any road license at all :)

(Yes, I know, they'd start taxing them.... I was being facetious ;) )

Including all those that aren't electric, take the BMW I8, it can drive about 20 miles on it's battery before it's flat, why is that exempt, it should have it's ICE disabled to qualify, but comes back to @Mrbarry's point, if it was on miles travelled at your consumption rate it would be far fairer, including the thousands & thousands that don't pay any at all, because there is nobody to catch them. 

Don’t get me on my soap box about the poxy DVLA.   Bought another kit 5 weeks ago and can’t tax it or drive it as the poxy log book ain’t come back - the chap I bought it from could not find the log book  but I’ve know him a long time So know it’s all straight Anyway had to do it manually - 5 weeks and nothing and there CLOSED !!   You can’t Email them due to COVID.   You can’t call them due to COVID you can’t on line chat due to COVID......... there a f00king joke.  

6 minutes ago, blue said:

You can’t Email them due to incompetence.   You can’t call them due to incompetence you can’t on line chat due to incompetence......... there a f00king joke.  

I hope you don't mind but I have fixed that for you