1.6 Pinto Cylinderhead - UNLEADED

zhap135

Hi, I ran a 1600 Pinto for six years, covering quite a few miles without a leaded head so I really don't think you need to worry too much about the head being damaged. Yes over time it will damage the valve seats and valves but the amount of miles these kits normally do, it's not a major problem. What you could do is pick up a spare head cheaply and keep it sitting in the garage to swap if you do get problems.

1 hour ago, alantoon said:

Hi, I ran a 1600 Pinto for six years, covering quite a few miles without a leaded head so I really don't think you need to worry too much about the head being damaged. Yes over time it will damage the valve seats and valves but the amount of miles these kits normally do, it's not a major problem. What you could do is pick up a spare head cheaply and keep it sitting in the garage to swap if you do get problems.

Hi Alan thanks for your reply, yes that has occurred to me. I'm getting mixed messages on whether the leaded exhaust ports can take the strain or not. Some folk like yourself seem to have no trouble for years, where as others have reported failures relatively quickly. As far as I can make out there was some variability in the earlier heads that may be accounted for by different foundries /suppliers, however that might be a bit of speculation.

Cheers

A

9 hours ago, theduck said:

Hi Duck, thanks for that input, I didn't realise this was the case, although it makes sense considering the dearth of suitable heads!

I'll definitely have a look at this product and do some research.

Another option I was considering was getting the car IVA'd as is, (I still have all the vin plates and docs etc), and then swap out for a 2l, banking on the head lasting for the time it takes me to get a suitable replacement lump.

PS, still interested in those clusters and dials 😉- if you still have them will you be able to post?