V5

Neilo

Ok I’m new to this so please be kind! I’m a good way through my build and looking towards Iva and registering. I don’t have the donor V5 so no chassis number. My question is how do I go forward from here? I’d like an age related plate (Sierra 1988 pinto) and I really don’t know how to obtain a chassis number. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks 

12 hours ago, Neilo said:

Okay thanks, I’ll call the DVLA. 👍

Good luck with that, you won't get through at the moment - I've been trying for weeks. But you don't need to, you can either just send them an email and they'll allocate you a number or you can just make one up. As long as its unique (and with 17 digits, the likelihood of you making one that already exists is tiny), you will be fine. 

I sent them an email just asking what the process was and they replied back with the VIN number and a list of all the paperwork I'd need - impressively efficient for a government department 😁

Thanks for that. To be fair it looks like it’s going to be next spring before I manage to get it IVA’d so plenty of time. Summer holidays and kids off school, I could do with another few months on furlough!! 

£450 is the normal price for an IVA test? 

At the moment you can't get through but, normally, they're pretty good in my experience. I argued about my Q plate they gave me initially, sent them through a letter from GBS to show my kit and all parts was new and got a new plate. 

I would figure on paying the £450 & then unfortunately the additional £90 for the retest, the number of cars that get through first time is very low, especially with a first time presenter. On top of that you also have to pay £55 registration fee along with 6 months VED to get your V5C they only accept cheques or Postal Orders