Makes a change

richyb66

There's plenty of space inside but it think it sounds OK just as it is. I had it in pieces yesterday because the last time it was used about 2 years ago, it made an awful noise and didn't work. 

The record selecting arm was siezed but the motor on the left was still trying to turn so the motor bracket was flexing and the gears were jumping.

DSC-0640.jpg

Luckily nothing got damaged (the gears are some sort of cast metal) but I had to dismantle all the mechanism, free it off, remove all the old solidified grease and regrease it all. My main concern was breaking something, some parts are available but they wouldn't be cheap. 

It's back together and working now, but I still need to do a cosmetic repair on the cover that hides the mechanism. It also needs a damn good dusting inside because I think it just sticks to everything and disturbs the electrical contacts. It's 61 years old (Rockola 1468 Tempo 1), so nothing solid state, all switches, 3 motors and a valve amp so some routine maintenance wouldn't go a miss. 

Glad you got it fixed Rich. Solidified grease was a problem for old wind up gramophones too, I've got an HMV model 145 (1929-1933) which needs a bit of tlc to the motor due to solid grease. 

The NSM City II jukebox I've got (seen in boozers across the county in the 80s)  has been reliable over the 20 years I've had it, just needing the speaker cone surrounds replacing on the 2 x 10" woofers about 4 years ago, as the original ones dried and disintegrated.  The system plays the records vertically, with the mechanism moving along a rack to the records, rather than the records moving to the mech, if you get my drift. The German juke boxes didn't get the style like the Americans ones did though!

IMG_20200628_124137537.jpg

IMG_20200628_124713911.jpg