Clutch lever cover - Necessary?

peter_m7uk

Hi, just a quick question about my Ford Type 9 gearbox.  As you can see in the bottom left of the pic (not from my car), the clutch cable end is captured in the end of a lever which sticks diagonally out of the bottom of the box through a rectangular hole.    Originally on the Sierra, the gearbox had a black plastic cover over that rectangular hole, with a bit of a "tube" to allow the cable into the cover.

The gearbox is so close to the tunnel side in my car that the black plastic cover doesn't fully fit.   If I'm going to use the cover, I'll have to cut it down then repair with another bit of plastic to cover where it's been cut down.   What I'd like to ask is if others have actually fitted this cover??  If yes, how did you get it to fit?  If no, has it caused you any problems with dirt/grit getting into the bellhousing?

Cheers,

Pete

200459194937488090.JPG

Edited by peter_m7uk
Typo

Thanks for replies, chaps.  It definitely doesn't fit properly, I had it on before, but it "knocks" against the tunnel side all the time.   The tunnel is tapered and narrows at that point, causing the problem.   I might just bite the bullet and start cutting that plastic cover down bit by bit and test fitting it to see how much I need to take off.   It's reassuring to know that people have run it with no cover for years with no problem, that can be the last resort! 🙂  I suppose a cover is a bit better than none, I can always try to plug the hole made in the plastic once I cut enough to stop the knocking..  👍

Pete

Edited by peter_m7uk
Typo

Can you put up a picture?  On Florin the boot is a very close fit, so much so that if not in its correct position moving the clutch lever moves the boot.

Maybe yours is incorrect or were there differing types? 

It's okay, chaps, all sorted.  I cut a corner off the plastic cover then filled the hole with sealant and refitted to the gearbox.   The clearance is fine now, similar or a bit more than shown in Peter Bell's photo  👍🏻

Edited by peter_m7uk
Missed a bit