Rivet rivet

Jon

Ok I'm just going over the car drawing up a list of where to start first on the rebuild and looking underneath and the previous owner surly went wrong here the rivets look ridiculous. This cant be right. Has anyone got pics of there underneath please or is it just a case of putting in shorter rivets 

20200706_170305.jpg

20200706_170319.jpg

Hi Jon,

Picking up the pieces from the former builder is always an issue of how much work you wish to take on.

You can be very brave and completely strip the car back to the bare chassis as my Son and I did or skip over some of the things.

(Drill out all the rivets and fit the other way round from outside to inside that would make it look better from the underside.)

We removed everything including the floor, welded all the holes up and completely started again by fitting and drilling a new 1mm sheet to the chassis the other way up after many modifications to the chassis first.

My car luckily had been assembled with self tapping screws in the floor panels.

You need plenty of storage space to put all the items you take off and remember where you put it all.

Have you a garage you can strip the car and be able to work in?

Can send you pictures to big to go on here at the moment.

Regards

Martin

Edited by maca
text added

48 minutes ago, maca said:

Hi Jon,

Picking up the pieces from the former builder is always an issue of how much work you wish to take on.

You can be very brave and completely strip the car back to the bare chassis as my Son and I did or skip over some of the things.

(Drill out all the rivets and fit the other way round from outside to inside that would make it look better from the underside.)

We removed everything including the floor, welded all the holes up and completely started again by fitting and drilling a new 1mm sheet to the chassis the other way up after many modifications to the chassis first.

My car luckily had been assembled with self tapping screws in the floor panels.

You need plenty of storage space to put all the items you take off and remember where you put it all.

Have you a garage you can strip the car and be able to work in?

Can send you pictures to big to go on here at the moment.

Regards

Martin

Hi Maca

Yes Im set up ok here to strip. some of it Is ok but this floor I'm not happy with, I think I'll do as you say and drill them all out and put other way round which I'm sure i seen that's how it's done on the videos on YouTube. I'm also interested in what people have done in the boot area. I've not seen any coverage on this in any of the videos. 

1 hour ago, richyb66 said:

If you put the rivets the other way round, you won't be able to stick carpet directly to the floor without them showing through. 

Hi Richy,

As the rivets are along the centre tunnel sides I am sure that they will not cause a problem showing through the carpet.

The seats hide some of the inner line of rivets. 

Jon is more concerned about the look of the underside of the car.

Regards

Martin

13 hours ago, Jon said:

Hi Maca

Yes Im set up ok here to strip. some of it Is ok but this floor I'm not happy with, I think I'll do as you say and drill them all out and put other way round which I'm sure i seen that's how it's done on the videos on YouTube. I'm also interested in what people have done in the boot area. I've not seen any coverage on this in any of the videos. 

Hi Jon,

Just did a search on the forum and came across this that may help you with your boot area.

Edited by richyb66
Correct thread link added

8 hours ago, maca said:

Hi Jon,

Just did a search on the forum and came across this that may help you with your boot area.

I found that one maca I was wondering what everyone is doing on top of the diff area is there a floor there or is just left open 

20 minutes ago, Jon said:

I found that one maca I was wondering what everyone is doing on top of the diff area is there a floor there or is just left open 

Hi Jon,

I have sent you an email with pictures of mine while building.

Regards

Martin