Flush fitting petrol cap

NickandNeil

I have obtained from a club member an unused origional Robin Hood flush fitting petrol cap.

I can see how you would fit it to the body of the car, what concerns me is how do you attach the hose to the rear inside the vehicle.  Robin Hood sorced its cap from a motor cycle manufacturer.  I can see how it would work on a perol tank as it sits on top and does not need a hose at the rear.

I am probably missing something here, but if any owners with this cap could post pictures of the rear where the hose should fit, it would clear so muddy waters in my brain.

petrol_cap_front.jpg

petrol_cap_rear.jpg

There was also a steel pipe supplied from Robin Hood the had 3 slots to bolt to the rear of this. It was then very crude and had 2 pipes welded to it to form a 90 degree bend. I cut this off about 2 inches from the fixing so I could use that to attach to the filler cap then used a rubber 90 bend. 

AEB193BE-53BA-4240-9CDA-3A458BB2BBC3.jpeg

I did similar but welded in a curved section of steel pipe, went from having to dribble fuel in to full speed fill. I also found the flange was to close the the end of the pipe so it leaked, fixed it  by adding 1mm washer of nitrile rubber to the cap seal.

7 hours ago, magh said:

There was also a steel pipe supplied from Robin Hood the had 3 slots to bolt to the rear of this. It was then very crude and had 2 pipes welded to it to form a 90 degree bend. I cut this off about 2 inches from the fixing so I could use that to attach to the filler cap then used a rubber 90 bend. 

AEB193BE-53BA-4240-9CDA-3A458BB2BBC3.jpeg

Glad mine wasn't the only one to look like this, thought the original builder had bodged it but glad it was RH that bodged it 😎

Like Jez I also binned the RH supplied welded pipe so I could use flexible hose to get a smoother transition.

103-jpg.jpg

131-jpg.jpg

Filling up is still a pain as it still blows back and I have to go easy on the trigger. Luckily I switch the engine off while filling, otherwise I wouldn't be able to put the fuel in fast enough to keep up.

Edited by richyb66