Vin stamp

NickandNeil

I have obtained my Vin Number from the DVLA.  I asked my local garage to stamp it on my Exmo chassis,  they said they would have to hammer the stainless steel so hard it would dent the chassis.

How else would you write it on the chassis?  Etching? Lazer?

What is aceptable?

And where on the chassis?.

The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other
similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side
of the vehicle when viewed from the rear. (see Notes 6, 8, 9 and 12)

Note 12: Where the ‘stamped in VIN’ is stamped on to a separate
metal plate it must be secured to the frame by a continuous seam
weld around the entire length of the plate; tack or spot welding should
not be considered an appropriate method of attachment for such a
plate. To stamp the number into a tubular chassis member is not
always practical but there may be instances where it could be stamped
in another similar part of the vehicle structure which is not easily
removable.

You will also need the manufactures plate fitted with the details required as in Statutory Plates 18

Stamp it into a piece of steel then fully weld that onto the chassis somewhere, as per the regs above. This way you're also derisking the stamping process a little as they can stamp it up off the car, no risk to the chassis if someone gets the number wrong or a stamp doesn't impact good enough to make a solid impression. When you're happy with the stamped tab of steel, you can weld it onto the car. Job done.

I bought a steel strip, took it to a high street key shop and had the VIN number engraved on it. I tried to do it myself with a Dremel and stencil but it didn't work - maybe I had the wrong bits but they were too big for a stencil and my attempts at freehand were un-readable 🙂

Got a local member from here to weld it on for me. 

I'd also tried to stamp it on the chassis directly but I literally made no impression and I felt if I hit it any harder, I would have damaged the chassis rail. 

I did the same a Nelmo, got a plate engraved and welded it on. When I swapped to the V8, I had to remove that part of the chassis so I re-stamped it myself. The chassis is stainless so I knew it would be hard to stamp but if you use a big enough hammer, hold the punch square to the surface and hit it really hard so you only need to do it once, it wasn't that difficult.

If your a bad shot with a hammer, the punching method probably isn't for you.

11 minutes ago, fry61 said:

As above -- strike the punch hard & fast with a 2lb ball pein hammer & the s/steel tube will take an impression, & no problems with weld being rejected at IVA. 

Yeah, I'd test that out on a separate piece of steel first, away from the chassis - maybe my technique was wrong (can you hit something with a hammer wrong? 😜) but I whacked it with a 2lb lump hammer and only made a vague impression. I could have hit it harder but I was worried I would bend the chassis rail.

Edited by nelmo