viscous fan

max

Personally I would get rid of the viscous fan and fit a good quality electric. I think most people do this, including me, and don't have issues. One reason I did this when mine stopped doing its job like yours, was I only run a 1.6 so every bhp counts! The engine has to drive that big fan round. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running a 1.6 with the coolman radiator and an electric fan in front of the rad. (no viscous fan) and never had a problem with cooling. What is suprising is that i removed the plastic cowling from the fan and made a frame that the fan sits in instead so it looks a bit like it floating but doesn't seem to have effected the cooling in any way.

The only problem i get is that i put the thermo switch into the end of the thermostat housing so when i stop the residual heat from the engine sometimes turns it on. Never really caused an issue it just starts up as i walk away.

I also have a heater matrix/fan for the demister (orginal matrix from the sierra) so if it did come to it i could run that as well to lose heat in an emergency but haven't ever come close so far.

The best way is the mount the fan behind the radiator, about 10mm from the radiator,  inside a shroud that covers all the fins & pulls the air through the radiator  & then forces the air through only the fan. However this all depends on how critical your cooling is, if there's plenty of capacity then it shouldn't make any difference.

@agent_zed If you don't want that to happen just wire it through a ignition only fuse rather than a constant live, but TBH it's a good thing to have the fan cut in once stopped to stop hot spots happening, I used to plumb in a electric water pump to keep the water moving for 5 minutes after switching off.

22 minutes ago, phaeton said:

...TBH it's a good thing to have the fan cut in once stopped to stop hot spots happening....

Yeah that's what i figured so i've just left it, been like it since 2007 so unlikely to change it anytime soon :)