Zetec engine running temp

apgodden

I don’t think the engine type is relevant.  The max needs to be below boiling, although that will depend on what pressure the cooling system is running at.   The higher the pressure the higher the boiling point.   The minimum recommendation is 80C which ensures all the volatiles in the oil are burnt off.  I would guess 90C is a good compromise, although I am also running 95-98C as I have a 21psi cap on the expansion bottle so can afford to go a bit higher.

Sorry for the typo again..... ZETEC......

great advise and thank you .  Andy from Scottish kit cars has been very helpful. He has said that the fan is fitted incorrectly.  The guy I bought I from fitted it on the front of the radiator nearest the nose cone. Andy said it needs to be on the back of the radiator nearest the engine.

At the moment I am running around 110 degrees c.

will see what happens when I move the fan.

What you using to measure the temperature? Smiths flight gauges are a joke, look good but waaaaaaay out of calibration. Mine had a 20 degree error and took some faffing around to put an offset in place. You can return the gauge AND sender to smiths to be matched and calibrated for free but reportedly they are still as much use as a chocolate fire guard. 

I used a K type couple calibrated within 1 degree and a fluke digital meter to test against, my K6 ecu was spot on exactly. My engine now runs at 75 degrees and up to 90 in traffic when the fan cuts in. I’m guessing the previous owner removed the stat due to panic because at 90 the smiths was reading 110 and on a hot day I once saw 115, but as we now know that was only 95 so perfectly fine. 
I need to get a stat now!

16 hours ago, apgodden said:

Andy from Scottish kit cars has been very helpful. He has said that the fan is fitted incorrectly.  The guy I bought I from fitted it on the front of the radiator nearest the nose cone. Andy said it needs to be on the back of the radiator nearest the engine.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that - mine is on the front and I have no problems. However, make sure you have the fan wired up correctly - if it's on the front, it needs to push air through, if on the back, it needs to pull. When I first wired mine up, I somehow managed to get it the other way round 😀