Sierra 7" Diff strip and rebuild

wowblaauw

Hi All,

Having a bit of a mare stripping down my spare Sierra 7" diff. Having already removed the flange nut and flange from the pinion shaft I am having bother in removing the pinion shaft nut. can anyone tell me whether the nut is a right hand or a left hand thread before I get the big guns on the job? I have managed to move the nut by 1 cm as if it is a right hand threaded nut turning it anti clockwise to move it. I have referred to the Ford maintenance notes which say to remove the pinion nut, the nut must be locked into place with their holding tool which I do not have. Once locked the manual says to turn the pinion anti-clockwise lending it to be a right hand thread. I am a little confused by this but if anyone can shed any light, I would be most grateful.

thanks in advance

Craig

The inner nut is a LH thread.If you've turned the nut anti clockwise you've tightened it further and squashed the collapsible spacer a bit more. Locking the nut and turning the pinion anti clockwise to screw it off in to the casing is the best way. Without the proper tool, you need to lock the pinion to stop it turning which might be difficult. You could jam rags in the gear teeth but it's a bit animal and I wouldn't recommend it.

If I was doing another one, I'd drill and split the nut to get it off and then use a new nut.

@nelmo my full copy of the mag article got corrupted, do you still have a copy you could e-mail me?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Should have put Quaife ATB innards... The unit is now back together - with a large shout and thank you to the author (Rich I think according to Nelmo) of the last three RHOCAR magazine editions covering this particular subject, was a great help - with i think the correct backlash but will have to wait and see as I'm waiting on DRD racing from my half shafts, uprights, hub carrier, new bearings and wheel flange - going for a complete rear end re-build.