2.0 Zetec Blacktop

apgodden

Having just got the crate engine running and mot it seems to be running hot.

it is running around the 118 degree area.....  the fan is running and the correct rotation.

i only have tap water in the system at the moment will antifreeze make any difference? 

any ideas?

many thanks in advance 

Tony

What gauge is it? It’s common for a temp gauge to be out by 20-30 degrees. Especially Smiths gauges. I had the same issue as you only to check it next to a calibrated device and find it was not running at all hot in reality. 

Antifreeze will change the waters boiling point. It can help a bit. I would try boiling water as a first stop if you have no calibrated gauge to text against. It’s a cheap and easy way to prove it’s reading ok at 100 degrees. 

Anti freeze is also summer coolant. But most importantly it stops oxidisation of the waterways. Don’t know how long You’ve run it on pure water but I wouldn’t for too long. 
zetec running hot for emmisions wouldn’t be 118 degrees. Also we don’t map them for emission results on these cars as a rule 😋

I have my gauge sensor (cheap-ish Smiths job) in the same place as you and, if anything, it under-reads by a couple of degrees, possibly because it's a few inches away from the block?

What ECU are you using? Does it have it's own temp sensor? My Emerald ECU does (it's in the Ford OEM thermostat) and the Emerald software shows me a more accurate temperature.

I doubt anti-freeze will make any difference over water...

Anti freeze actually has a lower thermal capacity than water.

This means that it needs a bigger temperature range to carry away the same amount of heat, so adding anti freeze can actually raise temperatures if the cooling system is overloaded.

Production cars cooling systems are designed to work at full power in the hottest places in the world with something in hand.

Air in the system can seriously compromise the cooling capacity so is the first thing I would check.

Water pump is the next as I understand that there are both colckwise and anti clockwise pumps fitted to zetecs depending on fitment of air con. Have you got the correct pump?

Just some thoughts.

Edited by IanS
spelling

On 8/4/2020 at 9:26 PM, IanS said:

Anti freeze actually has a lower thermal capacity than water.

This means that it needs a bigger temperature range to carry away the same amount of heat, so adding anti freeze can actually raise temperatures if the cooling system is overloaded.

Production cars cooling systems are designed to work at full power in the hottest places in the world with something in hand.

Air in the system can seriously compromise the cooling capacity so is the first thing I would check.

Water pump is the next as I understand that there are both colckwise and anti clockwise pumps fitted to zetecs depending on fitment of air con. Have you got the correct pump?

Just some thoughts.

Don't know what water pump is fitted as this was fitted by previous owner.

Put the sensor in the kettle and it’s reading exactly 100 degrees c

Antifreeze in the car temp now 103 degrees c on tick over packed up.

is that acceptable?

Regards

Tony

On 8/4/2020 at 9:16 PM, nelmo said:

I have my gauge sensor (cheap-ish Smiths job) in the same place as you and, if anything, it under-reads by a couple of degrees, possibly because it's a few inches away from the block?

What ECU are you using? Does it have it's own temp sensor? My Emerald ECU does (it's in the Ford OEM thermostat) and the Emerald software shows me a more accurate temperature.

I doubt anti-freeze will make any difference over water...

The ECU was supplied by Scottish Kit Cars with the crate engine it is a Flashed ATP ECU. It dose have its own temp sensor for ecu.

Put the sensor in the kettle and it’s reading exactly 100 degrees c

Antifreeze in the car temp now 103 degrees c on tick over packed up.

is that acceptable?