Stainless steel tubalar chassis

Guest Stan Halford

Guest Stan Halford

🤔I recently bent my tubalar cross member that carries the engine mounts and drivers engine mount broken free got new engine mount but out of line by about two inches. Think the only way out is new Cross member but can't find anyone to do it any advise out there please. Regards Stan Halford 

Hi,

I am assuming this is the bar that is affectionately called the 'plough bar' as it generally hits things due to it's proximity to the road. I think some people have removed it altogether and i think some have even made it removable, which can be useful for sump removal.

If everything is that far out you might need some jigging to pull the chassis back inline depending on how it's bent and what it has pushed.

Do you have a shortened sump? I'm assuming its a pinto engine. The bar doesn't need to be as low as it is with a shortened sump. i've been contemplating removing or repositioning mine for a while as it is 2 inches lower than it needs to be.

I'm about 8miles from you so can always provide measurements if you need.

i cut mine out of my 2b 

if it was me i would cut off what you dont need and the heat up the bit that needs adjusting and bend it back you will need acetylene torch to get it cherry red to bend it 

what people call the plough has no structual meaning so you can cut it off sorry i dont have pictures any more but basically where your engine mounts are you can cut the tube back to where your engine mount plate finish the tube that is left underneath the plates is more than strong enough to hold the engine