Exmo build quality.

NickandNeil

I m waiting for my IVA twidling my thumbs reading all the kit car forums green with envy at the blats everyone is doing.  I noticed a comment on one site saying it is almost impossible to get an Exmo through the IVA test.  Is there anything I need to know like extra strengthening etc?  You guys have guided me over the last two years of rebuild, but no one has mentioned strengthening?

Also has anyone had a test date through yet? and if so, when did you first apply?

I'm not sure 'strengthening' issues on the Exmo are a cause for IVA compliance concern, although that's not to say they're not serious, just that IVA won't spot them - you'll just notice after a few thousand miles when bits start to crack :). The main bits were the strut tops which, with the default arrangement, started to punch through/bend the top of the "butresses". And the rear diff mount, RH provided an extra plate to thicken up the boot floor where the diff bolts up but some cars missed it I think.

Seat mounts and rear bar that supports them would probably be an issue, if you've used them. Likewise seat belt/harness mounts, the default arrangement with the Exmo was either a cost-option 'roll-over hoop' (snigger) with upper mounts for intertia reel belts, or else harnesses, and it was the harnesses that were the problem as most people tied them to the rear lip of the boot, which is nowhere near strong enough. Put them down through the floor with spreader plates, tensioned over a suitable crossbar rather than the back of the seat, and you would be fine I think... depends what you've done. What bits are you concerned about?

I am rebuilding an Exmo that I "threw together"  before an amnesty from the checks that are done today. It went through a relaxed version of something called an SVA. Seat belt mounting came up as an issue. I needed to buy a pair of triangular plates, long and narrow that make a diagonal from about a quarter of the width of the rear boot edge narrowing all the way to an apex at the fixing point for the bar that runs across behind the seats. It is quite thick SS and has a hole pre-blown for the optional life saving (tee hee) roll over hoop to go through. The rear fixing point for the RH supplied harness was then on the rear boot edge and half way on the base of this triangular bit. Even then I had to take some lovely seat supports out and mount the flimsy two panels of plywood seats directly on the floor (which no one batted and eyelid about) because the height of the rear mounting point was too low when measured from the base of the seat. You probably have these plates ?, in which case I have wasted 10 minutes typing this reply.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, NickandNeil said:

I m waiting for my IVA twidling my thumbs reading all the kit car forums green with envy at the blats everyone is doing.  I noticed a comment on one site saying it is almost impossible to get an Exmo through the IVA test.  Is there anything I need to know like extra strengthening etc?  You guys have guided me over the last two years of rebuild, but no one has mentioned strengthening?

Also has anyone had a test date through yet? and if so, when did you first apply?

Hi Neil,

How long ago did you apply for the IVA?

I applied for mine on 8/5/2017 received an email 11/5/2017 to say application received then 15/5/2017 application accepted 

Made a payment on 15/5/2017 fee £450 received an email payment receipt 15/5/2017 also a email Application Assessed

Then nothing from them until I phoned them as to how much longer it would be to wait on the 10/7/2017 

I was told by them that I had not payed the fee, I told them that I have payed and have a recipt dated 15/5/2017

Then on 10/7/2017 received an email (Your recent application has now been processed by DVSA Testing and Support Services (TaSS).)

Then again on 10/7/2017 (Your application for Individual Vehicle Approval has been released for inspection.)

Then again on 10/072017 and the 13/7/2017 (A Booking Appointment) at my choosen testing station for the 24/08/2017

Pleased to say it passed first time.

Then it's the good old DVLA to get it registered and Number plates. so another month and you maybe there.

CONTACT TAS 0300 123 9000  

Lots of people claim the monocoque robin hoods won’t go through IVA, but as I and many others have proven, they are wrong. Only things I had to do to pass were:

- add additional bracing to the column support under the dash as the Robin Hood one alone would flex. 

- add some panel strengthening where the lower harness bolts bolted to the chassis - this was just some angle iron welded over the panel and the harnesses bolted through that so in a crash the panel is less likely to deform. 

- add bracing for the upper harness mounts on the rear panel

- add large load spreading plates for the seat mounts. 

- brace the pedal box front panel back to the fire wall to reduce flex

On 8/13/2020 at 3:25 PM, maca said:

Hi Neil,

How long ago did you apply for the IVA?

I applied for mine on 8/5/2017 received an email 11/5/2017 to say application received then 15/5/2017 application accepted 

Made a payment on 15/5/2017 fee £450 received an email payment receipt 15/5/2017 also a email Application Assessed

Then nothing from them until I phoned them as to how much longer it would be to wait on the 10/7/2017 

I was told by them that I had not payed the fee, I told them that I have payed and have a recipt dated 15/5/2017

Then on 10/7/2017 received an email (Your recent application has now been processed by DVSA Testing and Support Services (TaSS).)

Then again on 10/7/2017 (Your application for Individual Vehicle Approval has been released for inspection.)

Then again on 10/072017 and the 13/7/2017 (A Booking Appointment) at my choosen testing station for the 24/08/2017

Pleased to say it passed first time.

Then it's the good old DVLA to get it registered and Number plates. so another month and you maybe there.

CONTACT TAS 0300 123 9000  

well done, I think I need to chase them up.