Super Spec Goes To Chadderton

Guest bugsy

Hi all,

I had my SVA today on my Super Spec, after the last time they refused to test it because of a little overheating problem :p

Result: Fail :boohoo: , as expected, but not by what i was expecting to fail on!

Ok the list:

1) Demisters don’t blow hot air, these are the crappy ones supplied by RH, yes they should blow warm air but i disconnected the element to get more air flow (stupid boy)

2) Wipers do not clear enough, just a case of the wiper blades being not at 90deg to screen, easy to sort.

3) Innermost seat belt anchor point not captive nut, you must be able to undo nut on your own, outer are ok because you can reach both the nut and the bolt, solution weld the nut to a plate on bottom of floor.

4) Lower edge of dashboard not radiuses to 19mm, it was radiused to about 15mm but wasn’t "non rigid material"

5) Wiring in passenger scuttle not secure enough,

6) Rear handbrake cable mounting brkt too flexible,

7) Lambda sensor not working correctly,

8)Front brake pipes need to be more secure where they pass through the body of the car,

All in all a good result i feel :) , it was a great day for a blast in the hood, it took 1 1/2 hours to get to the SVA ctr and 3 to get home because i went the "long way" round some twisty roads and it was fantastic B) , it has been worth the time building in the cold and dark just for today.

Big thanks to Jim and Mitch who supported me today real ambassadors to the RHOCaR club.

The examiner was a really nice bloke who was very helpful and a good laugh.

Still grinning now :D :D , got a retest date of 24th September (my birthday what a great present) so better get cracking.

Thanks to Friar and Dredd for their help in getting me this far and everyone who makes this the greatest club going :)

Cheers

Bugsy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugsy

Bet it felt good driving the car for the first time. Good result and a final sprint for the line will have you sorted. I'm retesting on the 24th too so hopefully a double result on that Friday night! :p

I'm surprised at the handbrake mounting bracket, didn't you get the new full width one from RH? :huh:

Bad luck Bugsy!! Although it sounds like you've had a fantastic day :D

It's a real boost to know that by the end of this month there should be at least 3 Super-dupers on the road... get ready to be bombarded with 'how to' questions!!

Good Luck for the 24th and enjoy your Birthday :D

Will

(what did they say about fixing the Lamda Sensor?)

Guest Friar Tuck

Well done Paul, doesn't sound too bad, but I am really disgusted with the inconsistencies from Centre to Centre.

I have had a pig of a job finding suitable flexible for the brakes, and I still feel that it is a compromise.

My list is getting shorter, just a couple of items to do then reassembly !!!

Neally there !!!!!!!

All the best for you and Dredd on 24th, I hope I get through on Friady and that it isn't p****ng down !!!

The Friar and Tuck's Totty !!!!

Bet it felt good driving the car for the first time.

Bloody fantastic :lol:

I'm surprised at the handbrake mounting bracket, didn't you get the new full width one from RH?

Yes i did, its not the side to side rigidity its the front to back, the cables pull the plate down away from the floor.

what did they say about fixing the Lamda Sensor?)

They said i need to take it to a garage who has the diagnostic tool and pc to see what the problem is and do a bit of tuneing.

Good luck for friday Friar!

Bugsy

post-9-1095278252.jpg

Guest TerryBarry
Lambda sensor not working correctly

Does this mean that the lambda reading on their analyser was out of the specified 0.97 to 1.03 ratio ?

This fault can occur if the is a very small hole in the exhaust ( on a flange or connection) after the lambda sensor. As the exhaust gases pass though the tube air is sucked in by a venturi effect - this then gives a false oxygen content reading.

I had this fault on my previous tintop.

Bugsy and Friar,

just seen your post and the woes with front flexis, I've fitted some from a jag that have the same 10 x 1mm pitch male fitting at each end and are 400mm long. The fitting is long enough to go through the body, a second piece of stainless to provide strength, have a nut fitted and then then female connection on the rigid pipe with a few mm to spare, also has a full length spring for protection as a bonus. The lucas part no. is PHC201 and were £8 each.

Well done for today and go and get your mac on the 24th.

Steve

Does this mean that the lambda reading on their analyser was out of the specified 0.97 to 1.03 ratio ?

Yes it was 1.07 at 1st fast idle and 1.05 at 2nd fast idle.

Interesting point terry, i will have a look tomorrow, Dredd and Friar have the same setup as me and they didnt have any problems, i will check the wiring also!

Cheers

Bugsy

Guest Battery Bill

Bugsy

Nice one :D Pretty close now eh? well done

and everyone who makes this the greatest club going

Cheers

You got me nearly in tears there :lol: :lol:

Dereks right it looks good (Shame about the colour :rolleyes: Did you get a lot of people Winking and waving at you when you were wizzing along? If so Rizla's right :lol: :lol: :lol:)

Guest Friar Tuck

Bugsy

Set up is slightly different on my engine, the sensor is actually fitted in to the Turbo housing, and gave a reading of 1.00. I think there is less opportunity for leaks, as there is no separate boss welded in to the exhaust pipe as on yours.

Check with Dredd what his readings were, and next time don't be so tight with the exhaust paste!!

Cheers

The Friar

Mitch and I went with Paul to the SVA, and I've got to say that the inspectors at Chadderton were good lads, they weren't trying to be "picky" and everything they said was helpful, top marks to them!

The list that Paul has is not horrendous, a couple of hours should sort it.

I am on the other hand disappointed with some of the items that failed. The demisters! what a joke! OK, Paul will get them good enough for SVA, but they are crap! (RHSC's answer to the problem is don't go with the screen on, sorry Richard but that is cheating! and this practice was commented on by a number of examiners!!)

The outer sleeves of the handbrake is held by a piece of metal bent at 90º and as the handbrake is pulled, the whole thing flexes terribly, this is not good enough, but can easily be put right with a couple of bracing pieces.

Where the brake pipes go through the side panels, the way that they are done is not acceptable, you need to have a proper union through the panel with the pipes connected on each side.

Seat belt bolts: The inspectors say, that if you can get a spanner onto both the nut & bolt, then it's OK (1 person) but if someone has to crawl under the car to get a spanner onto the nut, as you turn the bolt, then make the nut "captive" (easily done!)

The noise test was good................... 94 DBA (it whispers!)

(Now if my spelling etc. is not up to it tonight, please remember that it is Wednesday night, and I have consumed a goodly number of bottles of Nuclear Brown, all for medical purpposes only, of course!!)

post-9-1095288390.jpg