2.0L Pinto Timing

phaeton

1 hour ago, phaeton said:

No it just wouldn't go above 1200rpm at all, but on Wednesday afternoon/evening (I think) I reset the tappets, rechecked the float, blew out the main jets, changed a fuel filter after the pump, the one before the pump seemed okay, reset the timing. Kept my grandson & granddaughter entertained with the popping & banging & flames shooting out of the carb. But after resetting everything it seemed to run okay only did about a mile as no MOT, I took it last night over to a guy who's going to put it on a rolling road today to setup properly.

I only ask because it sounded similar to a problem I had which turned out to be a cam timing issue.  It only cost me a new carb, new coil, new dizzy, plugs and leads to get there! It’s a bit like triggers broom now 

I’m a real novice so could really do with a rolling road and old school pro near by. If anyone knows of one in the Dorset area let me know! 

Towed the car to the Rolling Road on the slightly dubious A-frame but we won't discuss that occifer, he started with a cold compression test, 180,175,190,185 then stripped & rebuilt the carb, then put it on the rollers to play with the furling & timing, he set it at 9 degrees & managed to get an extrapolated 107bhp at 4200rpm runs very nice now, £80 well spent I think. Just need to get an MOT on it now, I've been over it & can't see any thing wrong, might just have a quick look at the back brakes over the weekend the handbrake isn't too good, so maybe just adjust the shoes, once I have that it's gong to have to go on ebay as I am loosing my garage which I intended to store it in. It doesn't deserve to live outside through winter.