VIN stamp confirmation

peter_m7uk

Hello all,

I've been trying to follow the DLVA process where "a franchised dealer or local garage must stamp the DVLA VIN on the chassis or frame of the vehicle and complete the declaration". The problem is that no one will help, even though the stamp is already on the car and they just have to check it and sign  🙄

I spoke to a few garages here on the South Coast and the response always tends to be "don't know anything about that, can't you ask someone else who does that sort of thing?". My nearest garage (10 minute walk away) at first said "can't you ask your local garage?"  😄  I finally managed to persuade a garage to help, but they said they wanted to look into it first... After a couple of weeks, they finally spoke to the DVLA, who told them the garage has to stamp the VIN number in themselves. The garage told me "we don't have the equipment for that". I told them I'd done the stamp already myself and they just had to confirm it for me! But they weren't interested, so I'm back to square one.

How the hell does anyone get a garage to help? For them, it's literally looking at the stamp I've done on the chassis and signing a form, it'll take about a minute. I'm about to apply for IVA and this is now turning into a showstopper at the death 😬

Cheers,

Pete

I had a plate stamped by a friend and work and welded it myself. Never had it inspected by a garage or anything signed off. The Iva tester looked at it check the digits were correct and it was welded all the war around not just spot welded and was happy. That was on 2018. 

Peter

I stamped my own number on the chassis. 

You are not being told the correct information,

On your application form IVA 1C it ask's for the VIN number at question 3a (ii)

At question 3b Position of stamped VIN on vehicle.

Your date of manufacture question 4b Is the date you submit you application form.

Do you have a manufacturers plate fitted as sample below:-

VIN Plate.jpg

5 hours ago, peter_m7uk said:

I've been trying to follow the DLVA process where "a franchised dealer or local garage must stamp the DVLA VIN on the chassis or frame of the vehicle and complete the declaration"

Never heard of that  - where are you reading it? Get it stamped/welded on and fill in the form - no need for any garage to be involved. 

8 hours ago, phaeton said:

Pete,

Can you get the car to the garage, I have a mate who lives not far along the coast from you, he knows quite a few mechanics I can ask him to ask them but I presume you will have to go to them.

Alan..

Hello Alan,

Thanks, sounds like a good option.   I have a towbar on my daily car and access to a trailer if need be!   Where is your mate, more exactly?

Appreciated.

Pete

Magh, Maca, Nelmo,

This is from a DVLA letter, in which I received the new VIN number for the chassis.   It says very clearly that, before IVA, I need the VIN seen by a garage and signed off.  Other people have said to me that it might not be necessary, but I'd rather not turn up for the IVA and be turned away for this!

Pete

Sorry Peter I asked last night & he doesn't think he can help, but as others have said I would be checking with DVLA as this is the first time I have ever heard of it. Maybe also ask on the locostbuilders, but several members here have gone through fairly recent IVA's but I understand your concern. Alan..

Never did anything like that on my build so I wouldn't worry - no garage inspection necessary. That's what the IVA is for! Maybe the letter is thinking it's for people who are re-stamping a car that has had a replacement chassis installed? I would say just stamp the plate, affix yourself as above, and at the IVA the inspector will check the VIN and details/etc and job is a good'un.

I have to agree with everyone else that it is not required.

MR IVA TESTER will check that the chassis is stamped. 

And that you have a manufactures plate fitted showing the correct details.

As IVA Manual Statutory Plates 18

In my case I made up my own VIN number and submitted it on my application Form IVA 1C

NO further action required by you to have it checked.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.  I'm starting to be swayed by the number of people (on this forum and elsewhere) saying it's not necessary.  I must admit, my initial reaction to the letter was to think "Can't the IVA examiner just check it during the test?" - That would make more sense...   The statutory plate and stamp are complete, so I think I'll take the small risk that they say something about the confirmation signature at IVA!

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by peter_m7uk

If you are unsure just simply ring the test station where you are going for the Iva and ask to speak to one of the inspectors. They will happy give you the answer with the added bonus of knowing it’s from them who are actually the people that make the decision.