Hello new member here in over his head

Guest Gunby1990

Guest Gunby1990

Hi firstly thanks for letting me join this group. After years of wanting a kit car ive finally took the leap and got one. I was wanting a little project for me and my young son and came across a robin hood s3a. It was started by an elderly chap who unfortunatley passed away and never finished it. After speaking to the mans freind and his widow i decided to buy it and promised i would take it back and show them when finished.

Now me being me dived in head 1st no questions asked or serious thoughts given. And dont have much clue wat am doing so im here for as much help and advice as possible and hopeing to get the build finished on the road and join the kit car community.next year.

Heres what i have and know s3a it has a 2.0 sierra engine fitted (not wired up ) and gearbox fitted brakes and wheels suspension all fitted.all the parts are here for me to finish.my brother in law is a mechanic and is going to get the engine running and wired up.but hes never built a kit car and we have loads of body parts still to be fitted and thats my area apperntly 😆  ill put up a couple of pics i currently have and will take more when am next in the garage.Hoping someone can point me in some direction and tell me were a few of the panels go etc. Even better if there any experts close (tow law county durham ) your free to pop over to have a look and give me some advice.ill provide the tea 😀

20200817_115037.jpg

20200817_115031.jpg

Hi and welcome to the Club, I also have a 3a and I am not that far from you in Cramlington, Northumberland, If you need any help or advice please ask as I built mine up so have been there. It is while it is at this stage that you want to consider doing some body strengthening to avoid some of the problems that cam develop during use, and help to get it through the IVA test. I can bring mine up so see you so you can see what goes where and how which makes life much easier

WP_20170811_10_56_55_Smart.jpg

Guest Gunby1990

Hi alan i actually bought mine from cramlington on monday.it would be great to see yours it would help me alot to see where things go and speak to someone who built one. Your welcome to come have a look or if it helps im actually popping back to cramlington tomrrow or friday as the person i bought mine off has found a couple more bits i need to pick up. So i could pop and have look ans chat if you like ? 

I am going out tomorrow for a run in the car but I should be at home on Friday, I will send you a message on the forum with my mobile number and we will see if we can get something arranged, Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gunby1990

Havent made any progress yet guys been buying more tools as i did not have much. Got 3 days off next week so going to try and get all the strenghing done if possible.met alan from the group and hes been giving me alot of tips and helping. Few pics of the project ahead wish me luck and if theres snyone local wants to lend a hand ill provide the tea and coffee🤣

20200820_162343.jpg

20200820_162340.jpg

20200820_162336.jpg

20200820_162207.jpg

20200820_162157.jpg

20200820_162154.jpg

20200820_162146.jpg

20200820_162144.jpg

20200820_162127.jpg

20200820_162122.jpg

20200820_162110.jpg

Nice project you've got there and good to hear you're getting some local help. Just keep asking questions because there's always a few ways to solve any problem and whatever you encounter, someone else has probably been there before.

Guest Gunby1990

Engine turns over but no spark yet but not really looked at it its not wired up or anything.and dont have a clue what am doing m8 🤣 just going to go for it. But im no mechanic haha

Guest Gunby1990

Cheers harry ill keep that in mind ill no doubt need help and asvice through most steps of my build.hoping to get it done for next summer and get to some meets with you all

Guest Gunby1990

Well had my 1st day in the garage today managed to get the engine to spark. Also put aload of angle iron in the back few hours down. 

20200831_162801.jpg

20200831_162813.jpg