Best breather set, up 2.0l pinto

Kevxathome@gmail.com

Hello all. Just joined, wanted to ask for advice. Bought my super 7 10 weeks ago. Im sure its still a great buy. Its had quite a few upgrades but i wasnt happy with oil splatter from the crankcase breather outlet or the catch can outlet. The car came with a breather outlet on oil filler cap which was connected to a 2nd breather higher up the block then runing into a catch can and out to air. I wasnt happy with the oil spitting out the crankcase breather or the outlet from catch can. Pretty messy and lots of vapour coming out from under the bonnet. I tied in a 2nd can and lead crankcase breather to that then up to inlet manifold. Im prob catching at least 150ml oil every 10 miles. But much cleaner regarding vapour. Is there ways round this? Ive got a few more points but 1 at a time. Thanks.

Welcome to the club - you now have a job (or jobs) for life!  I'm assuming you're running a pinto engine but correct me if not.  I tried a number of catch tanks and things with my pinto but ended up with a pipe from the crankcase breather feeding into the air intake for the carbs.  What I would say is that I only ever got vapour and fumes from the breather - I have never had oil spitting out.  I don't know if maybe you are getting excessive blow past the rings or something?  I'm sure there are people on here who will be able to offer more advice and get you sorted.

All the best, Steve

Steve 

Many thanks. Yea been saving for my dream summer toy for years. Its a pinto 2.0 with a webber carb. I say oil its more of a residue really but fairly splatters around the engine bay and was leaving a small puddle every time i parked. I might try bypassing 2nd catch tank and take it straight up. Worth a go. Yea plenty leads on here so good that everyone is on the same page! I have lots to ask about haha! 

having put bike carbs on my pinto my crank case breather is just straight to air 

you might find that your crank case breather may be blocked thats why its coming out of other places if you have put the crank case breather to a tank and not to inlet manifold have you removed the vacum spring   

Normally the vacuum in the manifold is used to draw gases from the block and burn them through the engine. It may be easier to go back to a standard Ford setup. When I fitted DCOEs on my old kit that chucked oil out of the filler, this was due to to the breather having a valve where it meets the engine allowing the crank to pressurise. I cut the end off to remove the valve and spring and fed to a catch tank.

The basic Ford set up has an oil separator which looks like the red part but it has one hose attached via a push in pcv. This hose is usually connected to the inlet manifold to draw fumes out of the crank case. If your using a catch tank, make sure there is no valve in the system that would let pressure build before you connect to catch tank. I don't know that oil seperator/ pcv setup, it could be top hose is pcv and bottom is direct to crank case perhaps for the filler breather. I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows better than I do.

Another issue i have is batteries going completely flat after 2 or 3 half hour journeys. Firstly replaced the battery and its doing the same. Alternator was sent away and is working fine. Ive tested the alternator at the plug or output and its only reading 12.5 v. Plus the battery only reads the same. Its my understanding it should be up at 14.5 v when running. Is this a case of getting a more powerful Alternator. My one says 12v 55A. Again thanks for reading.

20200822_150115.jpg

20200822_150107.jpg