Best breather set, up 2.0l pinto

Kevxathome@gmail.com

If alternator is tested good then charging circuit will be at fault.

Check resistance from alternator body to battery negative it should be 0ohms.

As car starts there is a good earth connection to the starter but the alternator mount might have paint / rust preventing a good earth connection to the engine.

12V 55A alternator should be good for the simple electrics our cars have

Edited by IanS
add info

Re your red bit, looks like it’s been modified, I suggest the upper hose goes to a catch can, possibly the lower was supposed to be a return from the can but as it will be slightly pressurised when running it wouldn’t work. Try blocking off the lower connection. Make sure your catch can has a decent breather on it. 
This hopefully is a link to Dave Andrews site it has loads of useful info and this may be the oil breathing bit! http://www.s262612653.websitehome.co.uk/DVAndrews/wateroil.htm

You need to take the PCV off as it only works with manifold vacuum.

the catch tank should be baffled with wire wool in and have a separate filter outlet or vented cap.

you run a pipe from the crank case to the tank and another from rocket cover vented cap to second catch tank inlet or out of the rocker cover itself.

i run 16mm outlets and pipes.

another system is to run the crankcase breather to the rocker cover and run a second outlet from the rocker cover to the catch tank to reduces oil loss.

on later blocks there is a plug into the crank case on the right hand side that can be used as an oil return or a second crank case breather

I have learned this by painful experience and a lot of trial and error

• 1 month later...

Oh its been a long few weeks. Car is sorn and officially off the road for winter. With so many variables i decided to strip the engine down, inlet and exhaust manifolds off cylinder  head off i got a compression test and got front to back 175, 150, 45 and 25 psi. and ive got visual damage on a piston and im sure rings will be done in too. I am however stuck. The sump bolts are all out but im struggling to get it off. Its a cork gasket but the whole thing is locked on. Any pointers?? Am i missing something? Thanks in advance.👍

I had a nightmare getting my sump off (Zetec and ERA sump). Turned out my windage tray was too close to the wall of the sump and as I pushed down,  the tray dug further into the wall of the sump in one corner. In the end,  I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the sump and use a screwdriver to lever the tray off the wall!

Nightmare. Its a cork gasget looking at it but i think its been bonded with some kind off adhesive! All bolts were pretty easy too come out i expected the sump to drop off haha. Im cutting away with a stanley blade. Prob going to take a week cpl hours a night! Cheers Nelmo.👍

On 9/29/2020 at 11:26 PM, nelmo said:

I had a nightmare getting my sump off (Zetec and ERA sump). Turned out my windage tray was too close to the wall of the sump and as I pushed down,  the tray dug further into the wall of the sump in one corner. In the end,  I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the sump and use a screwdriver to lever the tray off the wall!

Sump popped off. Stanley blade 1/3 of the way round...couple of leaver softly applying pressure as i went and heard it go. Thank goodness.

• Like 2