Fuel pump

Del1968

Hi all 

quick question about fuel pump ,I have a faucet posi flow electric pump now my question is are you meant to hear it when you turn the ignition on.

cause when I turn on the ignition I don’t hear anything anymore but used to then I turn it off and try a couple of times then it seems to kick in 

now is there a problem with it and should I consider getting a new one and what one would ou recommend it will be fuelling a Weber 32/36 

many thanks 

del 

I can hear mine when the ignition is on and it does make a lot of noise, perhaps it needs moving where it will vibrate less. It is mounted on rubber feet though. It has been like that for as long as I have owned the car and you can't hear itt or anything else for that matter once the engine is running. If it works then leave it alone, if it doesn't then replace it. You could always carry one as a spare, they don't take up a lot of room and are not extortionate in price

10 hours ago, maca said:

If your carb needle valvue is closed then the pump should not be making a noise unless it needs to pump fuel so could be ok.

That's interesting as I have a Flutra fuel pump http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/flutra-competition-fuel-pump-2-4-4-psi-50-litres-hour-282/ which runs all the time when the ignition is on, so much so I've put a switch under the dash to switch it off whilst I've been working on other things with the ignition on. I wasn't aware there was anything 'intelligent' about them to switch off once pressure was achieved.

I run a facet red top pump.  You can hear it when you switch the ignition on and goes quieter when the carb float bowls have filled but you can still hear it humming before starting the engine.  I wait until the pump goes quieter before starting so that I know that the carbs have the correct level fuel and the engine starts first time.

I was told by a supplier that the early red and silver top pumps would switch off completely when back pressure was sufficient but I don't know if that's correct. 

1 hour ago, phaeton said:

That's interesting as I have a Flutra fuel pump http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/flutra-competition-fuel-pump-2-4-4-psi-50-litres-hour-282/ which runs all the time when the ignition is on, so much so I've put a switch under the dash to switch it off whilst I've been working on other things with the ignition on. I wasn't aware there was anything 'intelligent' about them to switch off once pressure was achieved.

With ref. to my  statement I was comparing it to the old SU fuel pump that used to only click slowly when the needle valve had closed and would work more quickly when fuel was required.

Regards Martin 

Edited by maca
  • Like 1