Cycle wing fixing

Pintogogo

Hi Guys

After a bit advice on methods of fixing cycle wings, previous ones were pop riveted to supports but i want to move away from that with new wings, I have sikaflex but was after different methods to fix new wings on and how strong the fixings are

Cheers in advance

Harry

Hi Harry,

Similar to above I used a section of plaster corner bead/edge and bolted this to the wing bracket then applied loads of silkaflex to bed the cycle wings on.

6 years and still going strong, even at 100mph on a private road of course.😉

https://www.google.com/search?q=plaster+corner+bead&oq=plaster+corner&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l3.7634j0j7&client=ms-android-motorola-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=_psJEP-eGcgQ3M

I made up some flat sheets, moulded round the support and then copious amounts of the panel gunk that GBS sell (same as Silkaflex?). First time I did this, I used light mesh which wasn't strong enough and one of my arches flew off after about a year, which is when I re-did it using ally sheet.

Details in my blog here: https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2018/03/underneath-arches-again.html

6 hours ago, brumster said:

Much as I love sikaflex, I didn't want to entrust it so went with rivnuts, stainless domed bolts and chassis padding underneath :

Eepqhr1wh95N5DtwwQSdbLNjPIOQXmSC81jUd5v_

68UC0B0FEorsB9X9xFR8nW33aj2OdZ0YO557K0ui

This is what I did albeit with one rivnut and bolt. I also silkaflexed for a belt and braces finish. 

I bonded them on with the tiger seal - used a tiny bit to make sure they were in the right place once happy applied loads to arch and support and held over night with a ratchet strap over the top and around the wheel .   130mph +. At silverstone on GBS track day and 8 years on and still as solid as the day I fitted them. 

17 hours ago, brumster said:

Much as I love sikaflex, I didn't want to entrust it so went with rivnuts, stainless domed bolts and chassis padding underneath :

Eepqhr1wh95N5DtwwQSdbLNjPIOQXmSC81jUd5v_

68UC0B0FEorsB9X9xFR8nW33aj2OdZ0YO557K0ui

thats the way i have done mine with s/steel dome bolts

I went along the lines of the metal plaster corner trim riveted to the wing stay and a generous amount of tiger seal to bond it down and that’s it. Has held perfectly including when someone drove into the side of my kit in July and smashed the arch bent the wing bracket and knocked the steering out but the arch is still stuck on well lol.