Coolant System - GBS Zero (Ford Zetec)

Doof

Another query I have as I try to get ready for my IVA.

My radiator cap is rated 10psi and the one supplied by GBS on the new thermostat housing is rated 20psi.

Presumably, the system will only work correctly if these are rated the same - my question being, which one would I be best advised to change?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts/comments before I order one.

Thanks in advance.

Normally you would only have one, not two. I remember when building mine, which is also a Zetec, I ordered the rad (with valve) and thermostat from kitspares.  They rang me and said I need the rad without the valve and it’s worked without issue.  Makes sense if you think about it.

In your case it should still work assuming the pressure is less than 10psi (no idea if it is).  Might also aid in getting rid of any air locks when filling.

Here is the one I had, you can see no cap: 

https://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=radiator&product_id=320

If it helps I changed to a different rad layer on that had an overflow pipe at the top. I capped it off with some old coolant hose as a stop gap and that’s never caused me problems. Maybe the rad doesn’t get above 10psi so the fact it has a cap on it doesn’t matter is what I am trying to say.

Thanks for replying - I believe you are right and I should have gone for the one without cap.

Problem is, I am now committed as it is bought and fitted and I was just hoping someone else may have gone this route and could therefore possibly confirm if both caps were the same psi rating that I would get away with it!

What I don't know is, if the radiator can take greater than 10psi as that is the cap it was supplied with? - probably best if I go for both at 10psi rather that both at 20psi, although this won't necessarily be helpful to me on overall cooling.

The GBS/Kit Spares equivalent radiator (with cap) comes with a 13psi one fitted!

I would think it will be fine and your overthinking it, something I always do :).

You could ring GBS tomorrow to be sure? They are really helpful if you call them - don’t email, phone is quicker they can be slow to reply to mail.

Ive rang a few times and asked questions and they were always happy to help.

If you have fitted an expansion tank to the radiator then you will need to keep the proper cap on the rad. If not and you have a spout on the rad neck then blank that off and use a blank cap on the radiator. The caps won't fight each other, the lower pressure one will relieve first  making the other redundant.