oil cooler

max

I run a 2l pinto and have never needed an oil cooler, sump protrudes under car and gets a good blast of air.

Radiator has electric fan mounted on it that sucks air through the rad with thermostatic switch in top hose.

Standard thermostat fitted.

Solid bonnet no louvers.

Only time it overheated was when stuck in traffic and an unsupported wire shorted and the fuse for the fan blew. My fault for a quick mod to the wiring.

5 hours ago, IanS said:

I run a 2l pinto and have never needed an oil cooler, sump protrudes under car and gets a good blast of air.

Radiator has electric fan mounted on it that sucks air through the rad with thermostatic switch in top hose.

Standard thermostat fitted.

Solid bonnet no louvers.

Only time it overheated was when stuck in traffic and an unsupported wire shorted and the fuse for the fan blew. My fault for a quick mod to the wiring.

same as mine but i have removed the thermostat, i still must have a air lock somewhere 

I run a 2 litre pinto and had overheating problems a few years ago and the previous owner had removed the thermostat, I found out after trial and error that my radiator just wasn't getting enough air flow through it. I put a double core rad in which increased cooling capacity and then a electric fan but made sure that when the fan ran it pull air across the whole of the rad and the car now runs lovely with a thermostat back in even in traffic, to me if the thermostat is missing this has been an on going problem, also at the same time as my cooling problems i changed my volt meter for an oil temp gauge which I think is far more benifical, I noticed my oil temp was high especially when I was high revving the car, I do have a sump guard fitted but i did fit an air to air oil cooler in front of my rad, ran it from my oil filter with an thermostatic sandwich plate so not to cool the oil too much as this is worst than getting it too high, I had to change my oil filter for an cosworth filter, it passes the same oil rate and is ok with 20/50 oil but is smaller in length so it would fit inside my engine bay. The filter came from Burton and is a EFL298 FILTER this did bring my oil temp down and now it is happy days. Hope this helps Andy

2 hours ago, churchy said:

I run a 2 litre pinto and had overheating problems a few years ago and the previous owner had removed the thermostat, I found out after trial and error that my radiator just wasn't getting enough air flow through it. I put a double core rad in which increased cooling capacity and then a electric fan but made sure that when the fan ran it pull air across the whole of the rad and the car now runs lovely with a thermostat back in even in traffic, to me if the thermostat is missing this has been an on going problem, also at the same time as my cooling problems i changed my volt meter for an oil temp gauge which I think is far more benifical, I noticed my oil temp was high especially when I was high revving the car, I do have a sump guard fitted but i did fit an air to air oil cooler in front of my rad, ran it from my oil filter with an thermostatic sandwich plate so not to cool the oil too much as this is worst than getting it too high, I had to change my oil filter for an cosworth filter, it passes the same oil rate and is ok with 20/50 oil but is smaller in length so it would fit inside my engine bay. The filter came from Burton and is a EFL298 FILTER this did bring my oil temp down and now it is happy days. Hope this helps Andy

I removed the thermostat when I put the engine back in . It's just like lam not getting a good amount of air flow 

Silly question but have you tried the car without the bonnet and nose cone off to see if the car still overheats, if it does then I think there could be something causing the problem but if it's fine then it could well be not getting enough air directed through the rad

I did not ask but how do you know it is overheating?

The only sure way to know overheating is steam coming out as most temperature guages are inaccurate and also need a voltage regulator to work properly, without they read high.

Oil runs a bit hotter than coolant and takes longer too reach a stable temperature.

If it is that the water level that is dropping? Then have you got an overflow and suck back system OR a sealed system with expansion tank? You can not mix and match.

I run an overflow and suck back system that has had the same coolant for the last 4 years, I do not have an sealed expansion system as I could not find a high point to put the expansion tank.

hi i have a std rad cap with a overflow  Bottle down the at the side of rad plastic cap none sealing the problem seems to be running at a high temperature under the bonnet and even in the leg tunnel like having a heater blowing on your legs when hot when you turn it off its sits there gurgling blowing water in the expansion bottle i know they say about air locks but yesterday i emptied system and refilled with car front wheels up a bank app 4ft high ran it up like that for 15mins with cap off will give it a run today if i time