Indicators blowing fuse.

dandan62

My indicators are regularly blowing its fuse. Sitting on the drive with engine off they work happily. I've tried leaving each side on for 30 mins with no problem. While sitting there I have gone round every connection and wire in the loom pulling, twisting, jiggling in case it is a short only provoked while on the move. Nothing. A short drive with a few uses of the indicators and it blows. Fitted new front indicators a while ago and they have worked fine for a few months. Checked all new connections. No sign of any shorts. Even unplugged them leaving just wing repeaters and rears working. Still blowing. Even changed relay. Tried higher rated fuse. 20amp instead of 10amp. Tested amps drawn at fuse. Max 4amps.

Logic says it must be a short. Any others ideas? 

I agree it is an intermittant short.

I would start by only signaling right whilst driving, if this does not blow fuse then fault on left side.

Repeat only signaling left just to check if fault goes or is in common wiring part.

Then try disconnecting back etc.

Localise where the fault is then you have a better chance of finding it

Thanks. Blows using either side so definitely somewhere common to both circuits. Have checked back of fuse box. Also as soon as it blows I have tried hazards which work fine as they are on a separate fuse. Tried driving with hazards on and they don't blow. Tricky one! 

Sorted, I think! A whiff of smoke is always a good clue. Spotted a tiny whiff on the latest test when it went. Coming through the gear lever gaitor. Took it apart to find a wire had rubbed through. Still puzzled though. The wire comes from a plug on the gearbox just under the lever. I presume it must be the reverse switch? It explained why the fuse only blows on a run. Changing gear moved the wire. However! What is the connection between that circuit and the indicators? 

Blown/blowing fuses are easily tested for by putting a high wattage lamp in place of the fuse --- the lamp will glow with increased brightness giving the size of the short /& indicate when its happening --- without the brief show only available from replacing the fuse --- also no more damage will be done to the wiring provided the cable/fuse size is compatible --- can't think that old car wiring wasn't O.K for a 60/75 watt lamp replacing the fuse.