Throttle body cable

nelmo

My throttle cable snapped (Zetec blacktop) recently and I bought a new one from GBS. When I came to fit it, it seems to have changed - below is a pic of roughly the throttle body I have (that is not mine - its a random pic off the internet) and, on the new cable, that yellow bit is longer, as shown by the red extension I've drawn on:

653762785_throttlecable2.jpg.759e6b7d952f04bff888c74d079415ea.jpg

This means I have much less travel than before.

I have tried fixing (read 'hacked to pieces') the plastic end on the right of that pic to get more space but it hasn't worked. I thought about trimming down that yellow bit (on mine, it is metal) but I can't see me being able to dremel it without hitting the cable below.

Now, I am rubbish at working out a clever way to do things - anyone have any suggestions about what to do? The hole that the cable goes through is a bit weird (circled in red below):

553759446_throttlecable4.jpg.10c6375b3be3ce755599c2f919abc26f.jpg

Please be aware, I do NOT have access to a lathe, 3D printer or anything fancy like that.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi Neil, 

Couple of questions for you to answer,

Do you not have any free play in the cable and you are over stretching it when you are at full throttle causing it to snap?

Have you a pedal stop or do you need a pedal stop?

Can the cable be repositioned so that you don't have this problem?

Can the bracket be spaced off?

The cable should never be at full stretch and should have free play at the end of travel.

Edited by maca

Dremel a groove circumferentially (first use of the word ever on the forum?) on the metal end where you want it removed. Cut a second groove from the first, longitudinally to where the end meets the cable.

Keep the grooves shallow enough so they don't break in to the cable ( easier to gauge on the second groove). Use a small screwdriver in the second groove to split it open and it should break away clean without damaging the cable. I've used this method on handbrake cables and it works well.

Thanks guys - might try that Rich...

Maca, I'm not worried about the cable snapping again (I know why it happened). Unfortunately, I've trimmed the cable to the exact length, so I have no free length to play with (unless I buy a new cable). So I just need a way to keep it secure and running freely at the throttle body end. My bodged attempt so far keeps un-hooking itself...😒

1 hour ago, blue said:

Hi a good way is to trim off the plastic thread of the part that goes in the square enough so it goes slightly inside the fixing. This just about gives enough movement for full throttle 

That's what GBS tell you to do and what I did for the 1st cable and this one - the problem is that the metal piece in my first pic was shorter on the old cable so it was ok. Now, even trimming the plastic down isn't enough.

Make an adaptor to move the yellow eye further away from the cable outer BUT without increasing the radius of the throttle lever. Can be bolted or welded in position, doesn't have to be a heavy weight job. Would favour a snail cable guide, which allows the inner cable to always enter the outer in line.

Edited by fry61
Spelling

Should you be interested, I managed to re-use the plastic piece I hacked off - I rotated it round so it points down, not up and then trimmed even more off the other piece (if you've seen the part, you'll know what I mean) and it works brilliantly.

Obviously, I screwed my ECU settings (see other panic post) but all good now - thanks for your suggestions.