Starter motor can anyone help

apgodden

15 minutes ago, RedTrev said:

It's worth considering the point that Ian is making here. I experienced this with a 1380 tuned Mini (many) years ago. Try retarding the ignition timing or, alternatively, crank with the ignition electrically disconnected. If the engine turns freely with no ignition, you'll know it's ignition timing causing the issue.

Great advice you guys Will try it this morning.

1 minute ago, theduck said:

Have you got any jump leads? Use these to add extra grounds between engine and chassis and / or gear box and chassis.  Quick way to tell if you need to improve the grounding.

Have tried this and no difference..... Gremlins.......

Once you've exhausted the above investigations - I've got no idea if this is doable on a pinto, but on another brand engine (Peugeot) there are a variety of starter motor ratings well over 1kW, the most powerful being a diesel 1.7kW. All direct bolt-in replacements. Dunno if the same applies for Ford? I'm not talking aftermarket "hi-torque" (expensive) starters, just an OEM one from a possibly different model car fitted with the same engine, or something with the same starter pattern.

Just putting that out there; I'll go lurk in the dark corner again now ;)

3 hours ago, tractor said:

i have found fitting the accuspark non vac dizzy leads and coil can make a big difference to the running and power of the pinto 

I didnt rate the stuff I had from accuspark, and never understood why people want to remove the vac advance.

Powerspark one I used was good though, and keeps the vac advance https://simonbbc.com/ford-pinto-ohc-type-distributor/

Thanks to everyone for the help on this problem.  I had a few issues so was not straightforward.

moving the timing to 8 degrees at idle has made starting at proper crank speed.

i still have a issue and think the new starter motor is defective.  A lot of the time just get a clonk from the starter coil and nothing else.  A few try’s and she cranks and fires up as it should.

have asked the company to send me a replacement Starter motor.

7 hours ago, apgodden said:

Replacement starter motor arriving this afternoon,  This has been a nightmare this is my 3rd starter motor from this company.

Will let you know how it goes.....

I wonder if you are fitting the right starter but someone has modified the flywheel and starter ring gear, hence the clunking.