Screw-type connectors

nelmo

Is there a proper/decent way of wiring up a switch that uses those screw-type connectors (like a 13A house plug has)?

I'm trying to tidy up my wiring and I'm currently using half of a fork terminal, which looks naff. I don't want to put the plain wire in there as I can imagine the vibration will break that in no time.

Yeah I hate those too. Personally I would just put the copper core in there and nip it up, then stress relief the rest of the wire by somehow attaching it nearby, so that there's no flex on the piece going into the connector. This could be heat-shrinking it onto the switch in question (so some heat shrink that envelopes a good length of the insulated part of the wire, but also goes over the switch, therefore 'holding' it in place) or otherwise just clamping/cable tie/hot glue the cable onto some surface nearby.

I would just worry about constant flexing of the cable where it enters into the screw terminal fatiguing it, so if you prevent that, you should be all good.

Don't be tempted to solder ;)

No problems to date with screw terminals -- the whole fuse box/dash relay assembly is through " choc-blocks"  but I guess it may be down to the screw material -- all Florin's are tinned brass & conductors are just twisted up individual strands.