The Cattmobile

Norfolk chris

Hi All, 

So I started my journey to conquer the forum posts in August, knowing I couldn't use my fathers knowledge I set to work on engrossing myself into all the threads and trying to piece together everything that I would need to help me, it feels like I've blinked and now we're at the end of September, my little girls back to school, I've got a massive beard and I'm not really sure what day it is, suffice to say the help and knowledge on here is great (though roughly working out I'm still only about 30% through some sub sections they're huge! 

I wanted to show right from the start, so hopefully you guys can point out where I've been stupid and hope I don't prove wrong the old 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' saying 

I'm no mechanic or have completed anything like this, have just had a massive love for these since a young age with my dad's Robin hood. So.. Here goes nothin'

Looks like a great project - you're probably hoping for another lockdown to give you an excuse to stay in the garage 🙂

I'm going up to Norwich this weekend - my in-laws live in Wroxham 🙂

Edited by nelmo

Luckily run my own business that can continue, so can take off some time, but I've already found myself knocking off too early so need to keep check on that. 

Nice little place out in the sticks here, just down road from Wroxham at RAF Coltishall base. 

It does feel like a good base, just a bit more rust under the seat panels than had hoped for, cleaning it all back so can then start cutting out and replenishing

Would like to ask about the sliding pillar set up.. 

Living close to Snetterton I've been there in cars and my R6 and would definitely want to be able to take this on too, what I would like to get an understanding on is the true difference in upgrading to double wishbone, understand will be recommended that it's better but with kit at £650 odd plus I'd need to get this done for me are we talking seconds a lap and poles apart on the road? 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on progress

I have Bob Archer from mobiletuning norfolk coming tomorrow to do a full test on the engine and equipment as it has a unknown race cam and various upgrades completed by iJem engines, we can then see what we're getting from the girl and plan next course. 

The speedo cable is lovingly looking at me in the face rather than doing its job! Upon reading up I will cut a good hole into the tunnel.. Will this likely be able to fix back into the connector or would I need to get a new one ready for it? 

I've also started stripping back all the body work so that I can get it ready to wrap 

IMG_20200930_154027.jpg

IMG_20201012_152553.jpg

IMG_20201013_152616.jpg

IMG_20201014_161514.jpg

IMG_20201015_150629.jpg

IMG_20201015_150642.jpg

IMG_20201015_150652.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small tarting up of the rocker cover completed, managed to get thriugh all the layers on the bonnet and primed, rest of the car finished within the week ready for its new look.

Putting a new carb on that the fuel return pipe is not needed, can this be blanked off safely with stop end and jubilee or is it best to be stripped and then capped off at tank? 

IMG_20201027_120359.jpg

IMG_20201027_140714.jpg

IMG_20201027_141025.jpg

IMG_20201028_122047.jpg

IMG_20201028_131153.jpg

IMG_20201028_140036.jpg

IMG_20201029_151600.jpg

I personally would cap it off at the tank if you can. You don't want a leak from an old pipe where you can't see it, if it's terminated at the tank it's one more variable removed from the equation. If you did need it at a later date then you would want to start with new pipework. Can't be too careful with petrol 

Thanks chaps, have blocked off and will order up a device to delete the whole pipe and cap it up👍

I have been fettling with the set up today and engine is running as sweet as a nut now, valve clearances were not great so all adjusted and is incredibly quiet especially with such a high lift cam. 

The electric fan that was added is a suck and fitted on the front of the radiator... Which I believe is close to useless?? Especially whilst in motion... So I have temporarily reversed polarity so for set up and checking it's working OK, can anyone confirm that's OK? 

On a test run it was spitting out oil from the crankcase breather filter,the engine oil is at half measurement so the most common cause would be gunked up as I believe its not too full of oil, So replace and will be OK? Or could there be another issue that could cause this? 

IMG_20201113_152343.jpg

IMG_20201113_152305.jpg

Fan shouldn't be suck while on the front of the rad. If it is, just reverse the wires so it blows. Mine is like that and works fine. On the move, above 30mph or so, no fan is any use - they're just for when stationery/slow speed when there isn't enough airflow. 

Edited by nelmo