The fun starts here - anyone know this car?

Chris Scott

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Chris Scott said:

Another milestone reached - now time to start installing the loom….terrifying but a big step towards getting it running!

B0433BD6-3BFA-45FB-B49D-C5CBDFF29619.jpeg

You’ve done well…. I’ve been following your rebuild for ages, wiring oh no I can’t get my head around it 😂👍

2 hours ago, shaun_tomo88 said:

You’ve done well…. I’ve been following your rebuild for ages, wiring oh no I can’t get my head around it 😂👍

Thanks, yeah I’m worried!!! The look looks easy enough to install and connect - but I’ll have to make some kind of custom but for ecu etc and I’m just terrified 😂

• 1 month later...

So after weeks of procrastinating (through fear of the task) I finally started on the electrics today. 

Having had several aborted attempts, I finally decided that the sensible path was to install the fuses and ecu first. I have built a small shelf to house the units (which sits above the passengers feet. 

I would love to have made it from metal but don’t have the tools or materials - but painted plywood looks good and should do the job.

584E8367-E092-4641-9491-99FCFF8718CF.jpeg

9AB4AA1C-58F0-4D78-BCBA-BF879A20AA14.jpeg

AE59E6C5-DD89-45FF-ADCE-05B5A4F8D97E.jpeg

Looks nice and neat - personally, I would put some loose rubber tubing over those bare wires, as close as you can to the relays and fuse boards, just for some extra heat and vibration protection. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks both, I’ve got some proper fabric loom tape coming to neaten up and protect further - will look into some tubing as well.

It’s a brand new Autosparks loom, I’m no electrician so needed something that was plug and play(ish) - now I have a starting point I’m hoping it won’t be too bad to wire up! 

9 hours ago, Chris Scott said:

Thanks both, I’ve got some proper fabric loom tape coming to neaten up and protect further - will look into some tubing as well.

A slight warning with that fabric loom tape - I used it and it is very good BUT almost too good. It's incredibly difficult to take off once on. If you use it, try not to put it near the wire ends where you might want to strip it back one day.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So…a couple of updates since I last posted…

Number 1 is semi-serious as I came close to never posting again.

4 days ago, and a couple of days after the birth of my 2nd child, I decided to quickly do some work on the car.

After cutting a hole in the bulkhead I decided to use the grinder to smooth off the edges. As it was a tricky area I had to remove the guard (mistake 1), I also had shorts on (mistake 2). On the last pass with the grinder the disc grabbed, the jarring motion sent it into my leg, across my groin and jamming into my stomach! 

I walked off the pain, relived no one had seen my idiocy - when I looked down I saw the 5inch long, 1 inch gash in my leg!

6 hours in A and E resulted in the removal of part of the disc, stitches and a lesson learned - genuinely…6 inches higher and I may not be here to tell the tale! 

Update 2 is more akin to normality.

Progress on the loom is excellent, I’ve built a lower dash for the hazard switch, ignition barrel and 12v socket. I’ve also built a new main dash which is on its way to being wired in.

Initially I will paint the plywood black - then once the car proves it’s a runner I’ll cover in faux suede.

056E2D69-875C-4520-BC26-E628F0D9D1E5.jpeg

A4D2FBA5-7FA3-47F6-83E9-ABD166309D9B.jpeg

E4484036-4F60-4343-9E21-7CD03A394D40.jpeg

7D9E4AC5-632F-4E26-BE23-E576A482D74B.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Chris Scott said:

So…a couple of updates since I last posted…

Number 1 is semi-serious as I came close to never posting again.

4 days ago, and a couple of days after the birth of my 2nd child, I decided to quickly do some work on the car.

After cutting a hole in the bulkhead I decided to use the grinder to smooth off the edges. As it was a tricky area I had to remove the guard (mistake 1), I also had shorts on (mistake 2). On the last pass with the grinder the disc grabbed, the jarring motion sent it into my leg, across my groin and jamming into my stomach! 

I walked off the pain, relived no one had seen my idiocy - when I looked down I saw the 5inch long, 1 inch gash in my leg!

6 hours in A and E resulted in the removal of part of the disc, stitches and a lesson learned - genuinely…6 inches higher and I may not be here to tell the tale! 

Very lucky man 

1 minute ago, shaun_tomo88 said:

Very lucky man 

Honestly - it really frightened me…I’m always very health and safety conscious…one lapse and Christ did i nearly pay for it! I’ve put the grinder away in the shed - never liked it and always scared of it! 

Just now, Chris Scott said:

Honestly - it really frightened me…I’m always very health and safety conscious…one lapse and Christ did i nearly pay for it! I’ve put the grinder away in the shed - never liked it and always scared of it! 

That’s the part of my conversion I’ve not liked, the grinder and welder hate both 😂

• Haha 1