Superspec cold starting

geordie40

My car seems to have developed a fear of starting if its been left for a few days Im sure it began doing this only a few months ago  , the engine turns but doesn't fire in to life till 4th or 5th attempt. It used to be fine when I 1st got it and even when it spent months having dash rebuilt it fired up 1st time. Its a 2L rover T series engine and I have changed coil, plugs, leads, distributor cap and arm. Once running it doesn't miss a beat and I can stop and start it with no issues.

I would have thought a fuel pump issue would be there all the time and be worse under acceleration, could the fuel be evaporating in the lines (injection so no carbs to worry about) but if so why now after 3 years of ownership.

Its not a major concern atm but don't want it to develop into something worse.

When you turn the ignition on before engaging the starter can you hear the fuel pump run for a short time? It should prime for a few seconds to pressurise the fuel system. Check the fuse and relay to the fuel pump.

5 hours ago, AndyW said:

When you turn the ignition on before engaging the starter can you hear the fuel pump run for a short time? It should prime for a few seconds to pressurise the fuel system. Check the fuse and relay to the fuel pump.

I think it does, surely if fuel pump relay wasn't working it wouldn't run at all.

Will double check as I did have a breakdown last year caused by loose earth on relays but that wouldn't start at all or only run for a short time

58 minutes ago, alanrichey said:

Does it crank at full speed ?   I was having starting problems recently but that was slow cranking because of a dying battery.

Cranks same speed as always, which if I admit seems  a little laboured but it's always been like that (I think). I have a booster so will try it with that and see if it helps

I’ve had dodgy relays before that wouldn’t switch first time or consistently. So it’s worth checking the earths and all pin connectors and try swapping the relay for another good one just to check. 

It might also be worth checking the hoses to the fuel pressure regulator. Particularly that the small vacuum pipe is connected, not blocked, kinked or perished.