C20xe mbe967iD running issue

Si1911

Hi all. Just picked up my s3 at the weekend and the paperwork for the twin 45s being setup says the timing is advanced to 16 degrees and it needs to be 10. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether the mbe967iD ecu will control the advance in the timing or if its more likely to be the vernier cam pulleys which are set up wrong.

Thanks

Hiya,

the vernier cams only adjust the timing of the camshafts, not the ignition timing.

Be very careful if they are set up wrong. They could cause the valves to hit the pistons. Get them set to the figure given by the cam supplier.

16 degrees  at idle is too far advanced. I dont know the exact figure but 10 degrees is about right, give or take 2.  The ECU will control ignition advance from idle to max advance. Sorry, I dont know how the MBE sets idle timing.

I'd recommend a rolling road session to get it all set up correctly.

Cheers. Im going to take rocker cover off and see if the cams have been changed or not and then double check the timing.

Failing that I'm looking for someone who can remap that style ecu which after abit if research might be hard as its quite an old system.

What aftermarket ecu would people recommend using or would it be better to find someone to map it and then see what ecu they would like.

The trouble with the sbd ecu is it’s no longer supported so dealers that have the mapping facilities might now be few and far between but why not find someone with a rolling road to run it up and see how it’s running before spending ££££££ changing something that might be running fine