engine temp

max

Not sure there is such a thing a a "standard" RH rad as everyone tends to use what they have or can get hold of.

A lot of people use either a VW polo or honda civic rad I think, mine has a polo rad on a rover engine and at 70mph it was around 80-85 degrees that is until head gasket went 😭

I have a mildly tune 2L pinto and I'm using an 85 deg. thermostat and a radiator very similar to this -

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/aluminium-radiator-360mm-x-460mm

I didn't get mine from CBS, it came from eBay for about £60 and needed the usual fettling to make it fit a 2B.

The gauge normally shows between 85 & 90 for most driving on the road.  The electric fan kicks in at about 95 on the gauge - but this only happens when I'm stuck in traffic.

I've done track days in the middle of summer with this set up and never seen the gauge go above 90.

Hope this helps,  Steve

hi thanks for your replys, my rad is like the gbs one with a 14" ele fan pulling air though the rad, no thermostat no heater but pipe from pump to inlet manifold ,not loosing /useing any water but running at a bougt 100 or 120 if giving it some eg 70/80 mph, new smiths gauge and sender ???? ps is now in colder weather not had chance to try in summer  yet

Edited by max

Thermostat is a must or at least a blank plate with a hole as the high water flow can cause air pockets to form.
would recommend an 82degree thermostat

Do you have a header tank? If not then the hose from pump to manifold will be the highest part of the system and will have air in it, fit a T piece with a small cap and do final water fill through that. Even with a header tank this hose can have air in it so T piece solves the problem.

When it’s cold of course