Test queries

nelmo

Re-posted on behalf of 'rdeagle1029', from a different thread:

Hi all, I am a new member and I am really new to the world of kit cars. I purchased my 2B a couple of months ago, already built and ready for the IVA (allegedly).  I have found a few issues with the build already. The steering shaft knuckle joint is catching against the alternator, so I have adjusted the alternator position and need a shorter belt to accommodate the new position. Also the steering shaft bearing has had to be replaced in the bulk head/fire wall. The car is fitted with  removable Sparco steering wheel. I have been told it will need to be replaced with the genuine Sierra wheel or at least a padded wheel for the IVA. Could someone confirm if this is the case please? Also, do I need to fit side repeaters and have the front indicators on the nose cone? Currently the indicators are just behind the nose cone. these are the issues I have come across so far. Is it worth getting it tested and then sorting out the problems, or am I best trying to sort any problems first to reduce the possibility of a fail? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks

apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Cheers Gordon

Oooh, weird, like I'm answering myself.... 🙂

Definitely try do all you can before the test itself - at £90 for each re-test, you don't want to do too many.

You will need side-repeaters - normal location is on the front wheel-arches.

I'm not sure if the front indicators need to be on the nose but the best bet is to check the IVA manual (for this and anything else) - there may be something in there about distance from the front of the car, for example. There are definite height restrictions.

It will be easier to use the standard Sierra wheel but mine went through with edge trim on the 'sharp' edges, so not essential - it depends on your wheel. The quick-release is not a problem, it's just sharp edges they will check.

The car is fitted with  removable Sparco steering wheel. I have been told it will need to be replaced with the genuine Sierra wheel or at least a padded wheel for the IVA. Could someone confirm if this is the case please?

The answer to this is, it depends.  I passed IVA with an aftermarket wheel fitted, others have failed. Some edge trim should be enough to keep most testers happy.

Also, do I need to fit side repeaters and have the front indicators on the nose cone? Currently the indicators are just behind the nose cone.

There are specific measurements for positions and angles of visibility for indicators, worth consulting the IVA manual for these.  You will require side repeaters though and these are best on the outside of the cycle wings as the visibility requirement is actually to the rear.

The front indicators need to be visible from certain angles. The westfield site used to list them, but they are no longer there. Best bet is to search out a downloadable IVA manual....they do exist. PISTONHEADS is a good resource.

Also if you check almost any picture of a 7 type car you'll see the  front indicators have to be extended on stalks to meet the requirements.

Hello, my Robin Hood made it through the IVA with an aftermarket steering wheel, I made a pad to go over the centre.  It failed the first time on a couple of things including the side repeaters which where on the side of the car behind the wheels so I had to move them onto the wings.  I can have a look at the car if you want and give you some pointers based on what happened to me.

The side repeaters on most RH cars is due to angle of visibility --- they can't be viewed from the rear because the rear wheel arches are too high; not a lot you can do if using the RH fixed wings which are several inches above the tyre tread.

Florin has her side repeaters on the side of the scuttle in cross bonnet alignment with the washer nozzles, the rear arches are mounted on the wheel bearing assembly & there is only 12mm gap between tread & mudguard. 

Passed IVA first time --- but that was in2011 --- things may be different now. 

Edited by fry61
Additional information