Just don’t know what your buying.....

apgodden

Yeah, I'm afraid so - I would never consider a restoration (which is effectively what you are doing). If you ever watch Wheeler Dealers and other programs like that, there have been some jobs where they had to virtually take the car apart and then re-build.

With something like a classic car, I can understand as you want to keep the history going and original parts are difficult and very expensive to get but with a kit, where you can still buy a brand new chassis for not too much and eBay is full of old MX5 engines, it might not cost much more to start from scratch.

Hopefully, it's just the bodywork you need to replace and the mechanicals are ok - good luck.

I agree. 
as we enter the point where a part built robin hood are being advertised for around the same money as a basic zero kit you have to wonder is it worth it ? 

Esp as some robin hoods now for sale have never been IVA’d 

im def not saying don’t bother but unless your picking up the Robin Hood for 100s not 1000s you really do have to think is a new kit the way to go instead of rebuilding something that has been through several hands 

I picked up my b2 for £3,300 and was road legal.  I am amazingly now at £9,700.

my question is do I rebuild her to a lower standard sell the expensive bits. still would have newly built engine new arches nose cone. Suspension upgrade, new body panels & new paint job.

use it next season and sell it on and then buy zero kit from GBS?

I have the cad drawings of the panels so you could get a new rear panel cut drop me a message if you want a copy. If you do go the other route drop me a message on the suspension upgrade I may be interested cheers mike. 

9 hours ago, apgodden said:

I picked up my b2 for £3,300 and was road legal.  I am amazingly now at £9,700.

my question is do I rebuild her to a lower standard sell the expensive bits. still would have newly built engine new arches nose cone. Suspension upgrade, new body panels & new paint job.

use it next season and sell it on and then buy zero kit from GBS?

Unfortunately, if you've spent that much already, probably better to keep it now. Once finished, you'll only be able to sell it for a couple of grand more than you paid (is it still a Pinto?), despite the extra you've spent. 

A new kit build will cost you around £12-16k depending on spec, so selling up will probably only get you half that? 

My son is on his 3rd Subaru Impreza.......He tells me that as an  average, on each vehicle he has spent 40% of the original purchase price on "restoration" and again as an average made 15% on resale.....

His approach..... " Dad, we will never get back the money we have spent or any thing like it if we add in labour. We do it cos we enjoy fixing the pain in the arse problems with which we are often confronted. We derive a somewhat perverse pleasure from standing back and thinking ,right you b***ard, sorted that out, then we turn around and there is something else t"

I have spent circa £2700 so far and my 2B is nowhere near roadworthy.

• Thanks 1