The old Rover shadow factory visit

Andi

Im just gauging interest for a visit to this place that I didnt even knew existed (Hmm maybe thats because it`s a secret)

Come the end of lockdown, and the arrival of good weather, and god knows I need something to look forward to next year, Im going to visit the Drakelow Tunnels near Kiddiminster which is an old nuclear bunker with 3 miles of tunnels which they open up to the public every now and then. It was also used by Rover after Coventry got bombed.

Obviously I cannot give a date yet. 

Has anyone visited this place?

The day would include a proper run out and lunch (maybe even breakfast for the early risers) They take 180 people at a time which does sell out and it`s a tenner each.

If you go on their website please enable "flash player" as there are some great photos.

Andi

https://www.drakelow-tunnels.co.uk/index.php

https://www.facebook.com/SaveDrakelow

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Drakelow+Tunnels/@52.4287278,-2.2740658,3145m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48708ea7a919e9e5:0x4857d78401a3f6b2!8m2!3d52.4271213!4d-2.2654546?hl=en

PS I see some have got permission to take their cars in there for photographs

Drakelow Tunnels are a former Top Secret underground military complex beneath Kingsford Country Park north of Kidderminster, Worcestershire. The tunnels were built between 1941-1942 as a Shadow Factory for the Rover car company. Parts for aircraft engines were machined in the 3.5 miles of tunnels throughout WWII. After WWII the tunnels began producing parts for tank engines until 1958 when the tunnels were handed over to the Ministry of Supply, and later Ministry of Works.

In 1961 the British Government converted half of the tunnels into a top secret facility, designated: Regional Seat of Goverment 9 (R.S.G. 9). Drakelow, along with 12 other facilities scattered across the U.K. formed a national network of highly classified Nuclear Bunkers, that the British Goverment would operate the country from, in the event of Nuclear War.

In 1980, Drakelow was re-designated: Regional Government Headquarters 9.2 (R.G.H.Q. 9.2). The tunnels were also upgraded and Blast Doors and Air Locks installed to bring the complex upto full Nuclear Bunker status. Through out the 1980's Drakelow operated under complete secracy until the end of the Cold War in 1990. In 1993, the Ministry of Defence deemed the facility surplus to requirements, and the entire complex was decommissioned and sold.

Since 1993, the Drakelow Tunnels Preservation Trust, have been restoring the entire complex to its original condition to become the largest Cold War Museum in the UK. It also the largest underground space in the UK open to the general public.

Open days and private tours are conducted of the WWII Rover Shadow Factory tunnels, 1960's RSG and 1980's RGHQ Nuclear Bunker through out the year. The complex is also available for filming, training and private functions. Please see the Filming & Training page and Visit Us page for more details

Edited by Andi

Back in the '60's  I did some sparky work in Salisbury's "secret" nuclear bunkers. So "secret" that it was just a matter of asking the locals where the entrance was.

Nothing like above it only went several hundred yards onto the chalk hill side. 

It's now a music studio.

Sounds fascinating would love to be included in the ADVENTURE please.

Would need to use the "TINTOP" as Rosemary and Rebecca would  also like to see this  " SECRET FACTORY " .

Reminds me of a year or two ago back in the 1970's when a book came out from memory it was mentioned on the News I think called " Beneath the City Streets " by Peter Laurie ! There was a lot of protesting that it had been published. I took it out from our local library but had to  order it in and provide details of why I wanted it ! It was very very interesting detailing why the Roads up to Buckingham Palace were so wide ! So that a plane/light aircraft could land easily to remove important people from Buck House ?

Very INTERESTED please keep us posted if you don't mind Andi ?