Another Exmo 🥱

LewisH

Hi all,

New member here. I'm Lewis and I have an Exmo. 

I have been so inspired by the 'Barn to IVA' thread (thanks NickandNeil) that I have decided to give it a go myself.

I started this build about 10 years ago and have unfortunately never finished it. After getting nearly there I had to move out of where I was living and as a result the Exmo has been living outside under a tarp ever since...until Jan when my wife and I bought a new home with a garage!!!

Some pics below of the car, lots of work to do, unfortunately a fair amount of rust underneath and a few issues to sort. I have decided to strip the car right back and will be removing everything but the engine/gearbox. 

006.jpg

008.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good.

I am Neil from the Nick and Neil blog.  It's good to see our build thread inspired you.  When we bought ours two years ago we thought it would take four months to get back on the road.  Now it is copmplete it is well worth it.  can't wait until spring to enjoy taking it out on to the open roads.

If you need any advice along the way both Nick and I will be glad to help, just message us.  Can see a couple of issues that will fail the IVA straight away.

The silencer has a sharp edge at the front, and also a sharp edge to the tail pipe.  You can ge rounded edged short exhaust stubbs to fit your silencer, but you need to soften the front circular edge, possibly the aluminium u -edging.  we got arond it by fitting a heat shield to cover the whole silencer.

The front indicator will fail, it is too far back, again se our blog to see how we corrected it. 

You will need side repeaters.

All the best with the rebuild.

Neil.

I'm rebuilding an Exmo also, will keep an eye on your build, good luck!  I notice you have chopped off the ends of the suspension "arms" so you can have cycle wings. I have standard system and am looking at the problem with the strength of the arm around the top mount for the strut. When you get to it I'd like to know if you took any steps to strengthen this area and use a taper bearing perhaps.

19 hours ago, nelmo said:

Well done and good luck. 

It looks in really good nick for 10 years old 😮

Unfortunately these pics were taken just after it came out of the garage years ago. Sadly these days it doesn't look quite as good, although most of the paint still looks okay

7 hours ago, NickandNeil said:

The silencer has a sharp edge at the front, and also a sharp edge to the tail pipe.  You can ge rounded edged short exhaust stubbs to fit your silencer, but you need to soften the front circular edge, possibly the aluminium u -edging.  we got arond it by fitting a heat shield to cover the whole silencer.

The front indicator will fail, it is too far back, again se our blog to see how we corrected it. 

Thanks Neil, I will add to the list! 🙂

5 hours ago, Sparepart said:

When you get to it I'd like to know if you took any steps to strengthen this area and use a taper bearing perhaps.

I can't remember who wrote it, but there's great info on here about strengthening the struts and suspension arms. I took some screenshots of what needs to be made when I first found the thread, I'll try and find it again 

Screenshot_20201102-162944_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201102-162950_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201102-162957_Chrome.jpg

I put the strut reinforcing plates under the flying butress.

Plate on top with 4 corner fasteners concentrates the load at the 4 bolts.

I actually had one strut punch up through the butress, fortunately the strut stayed extended and in the hole so I did not loose control or cause further damage.

My reinforcing plate is stainless for compatibility and 5mm thick extending the full width ot the butress and 6 inches long.

I have since done 60000 miles with no fruther problem with the front suspension.

Thank you for posting the shots of the strut top mods, even better, I see you made a tie bar conversion, something else that I am considering.. any piccies of these, at some stage would be nice, no rush, it's nothing I am going to do imminently... now its getting cold in my garage.

The strut mod was by Richard Marsh, also known as steamer. He now runs Red7 engineering. He used to be the chairman of RHoCAR a few years ago and is still on here from time to time. His RV8 exmo was very well put together. You should be able to find many of his posts with a search and perseverance. He did my tie bar conversion for me from Mowermans original drawings. Have a search. 
Dave.