Mid-Life Crisis Purchase

Guest Raymond Kennedy

Guest Raymond Kennedy

Afternoon All,

It seemed to be a good idea at the time and of course it was the right price! But i seemed to have acquired a Robin Hood S7 (I think). It is a part built monocoque construction with the inbound front shocks and what looks like standard rear shocks mounted on the outside of the body behind the rear wheels, the rear springs are what can only be described as in place but not too sure how long they will stay there :)

So what i was wondering is if any of you fine gentlemen(or ladies) are able to point me in the right direction of build plans.

Please be nice, i have already had enough grief from the wife to do me a lifetime and am now confined to the garage 🤫

TIA 👍

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

Welcome. These "kits" are not like your high end ones (Caterham etc.) they are better (arguably) than starting with drawings and a welder but not much more. Were many other parts included in what you purchased?. You will notice from the build manual kindly provided by dandan62 that it has the air of a "suggestion" rather than an itemised A fits into B using the supplied bolts type of instruction list. Sometimes there are not even holes, and their exact position is a matter of your judgment. This is the attraction of these kits, they make you think, and when you succeed in getting things done, there is a real sense of engineering achievement. The previous builder has done some of this already, using his/her skills, so I think now would be a good time to assess the quality of the existing construction. Simple but important things like are the wheels aligned and positioned satisfactorily ?. Also the rear part of the car which is a "sales feature" being held on by "only four bolts" (quotes from the manual) is this nice and squarely mounted? and will the height of the rear part be ok with regs if you attach seat belts to it. It will be much easier to correct anything now, rather than later.