Before I Start

Guest RICHMASSEY

Guest RICHMASSEY

Hi Everyone I am about to embark on my first ever kit car build, I haven't purchased a kit car yet but do have a car to donate

the engine out of but first I need to know if anyone of you have used a Volvo S60 2.0t engine in one of your cars before, or know

if there are any kit cars that it will fit into if it will not fit as it's a running/mot'd car I will just sell as is. Thanks in anticipation Rich

That's going to severely limit your choice of kits. The majority of people on here will have rwd configurations.

As this will be your first kit, my best advise would be to use a proven donor like a Sierra or MX5. I don't recall anyone using a Volvo donor which means if you get problems, solutions and expertise will be in short supply.

I would say you're going about things the wrong way. Make a shortlist of the types of kitcar you want first, then explore what suitable donors you can find. Buying a 'donor' car (Volvo or otherwise) and then trying to find a kit that will fit is just the wrong order.

Do you know what style of kit car you're after? Open top, soft top, hard top? Sports/lotus 7 style ie. very much a fun/weekend car, or something more 'useable' with an enclosed body, roof, something more suited to long distance, etc etc?

Rich don't wait 2 years, it took me 3 to build because everything else in my life came first. Kids, work, MSc, fostering, house move and poor health.

My advice, although I really love my car and know every nut and bolt on first name term. I would buy a roadworthy registered kit them modify to my style.

But it really is your choice, this forum will support you.

Couldn't agree more with MarkBzero, bought my Haynes after years of toying with the idea of buying a "kit", everything will always get in the way, mine is not yet where I want it but it's reliable and safe,looks OKish but most of all it's FUN. My grandson showing an interest in cars tipped me over the edge and spurred me on to getting the car, now we work on it together and have spent a fair amount of time on local country roads during the summer "blowing the cobwebs out".