Type 9 hydraulic clutch conversion.

Leslie Walters

I am still changing things on my Haynes Roadster done by the original builder/owner, the clutch cable arrangement is to be honest a bit of a bodge and was thinking of changing to hydraulic and wondered if anyone had attempted this, my plan was to fabricate the necessary brackets for the slave and master cylinders.

Also does anyone have the "quick shift lever" and are they worth it?

Thanks Richy yes, I take your point, not insurmountable but a little more difficult, been having a look today and had a few ideas regarding the cable set up and rigged it up to try a couple of different pedal ratios and liked the feel of less travel at the pedal. I  think a re-design to incorporate cable adjustment and a ratio change will be the way to go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 4:34 PM, Leslie Walters said:

I am still changing things on my Haynes Roadster done by the original builder/owner, the clutch cable arrangement is to be honest a bit of a bodge and was thinking of changing to hydraulic and wondered if anyone had attempted this, my plan was to fabricate the necessary brackets for the slave and master cylinders.

Also does anyone have the "quick shift lever" and are they worth it?

Hi there. I have a gearbox that has been converted to hydraulic.  It came with my 2B but I'm changing to mx5 running gear. I have no idea of price though 

Hi Leslie,

I have the Rally Design quickshift & very impressed with it. Cant see it on their website any more.

You can do your own.....cant remember where the details are, but just Hammer the gear lever further down on the spherical ball gizmo by 10 mm, then fit same size nuts under the plate with longer fixing bolts. Found it...http://www.dvandrews.co.uk/

Burtons at £119 is a total ripoff. Martin Lewis racing at £39 seems OK.

This may help if you DIY    https://www.burtonpower.com/quickshift-gearlever-kit-type-9-5-speed-ford-sierra-qs03k.html

Edited by Bob Tucker

Thanks Bob, had a look at the Dave Andrews link, I will give it a go, it's an excuse to use my little lathe and make up some spacers, I have already modified the gear lever to straighten it the 2nd and 4th positions were too far back for my seat position but a little less movement would be good as well. Sorted the clutch now, staying with the cable but changed the ratio at the pedal slightly and made an adjuster.

Thanks again.