IVA pass chassis mods to Lightweight

peter_m7uk

I realise the Lightweight created some controversy in the past over the use of an aluminium monocoque, but I'm delighted to say mine passed the IVA at Gillingham yesterday 👍  My mods consisted of

• Steel plates at the lower seat belt mounting points
  • The same steel plate inside the propshaft tunnel is used to mount the diff at the front
  • A right angle bracket at rear of diff used to bolt the rear diff mounting point to top of the enclosed ali box
  • Steel plates and sheet under all roll bar mounting points for load spreading into chassis
  • Ali right angles added wherever ali square box sections (wishbone mounting) meet the chassis
  • Pedal box mounting strengthened using steel right angle sections
  • Extra ali at gearbox rear mounting point to chassis

I think that's everything (might remember something later)!  That basically covers the areas of concern, where the drive train torque and suspension transmit load to the chassis, where the seat belts are mounted, plus the pedal box.

Cheers

Edited by peter_m7uk

• peter_m7uk changed the title to IVA pass chassis mods to Lightweight

My car passed at Gillingham first time, but I did ring several times beforehand for advice. I also helped another 5 cars get through, not all Hoods, and I found that the testers at Gillingham wanted to pass a car unless they had to fail it, whereas other places seemed determined to fail any car on the smallest thing.

Big thumbs up for Gillingham testing station.

4 hours ago, nelmo said:

Great, congratulations 🙂

BTW, if you want to report a post as being in the wrong forum, can you please just check the date of the post? No real point in moving anything that is several years old... 🙂

Thanks!

But I don't agree about the old posts.  They definitely don't belong in the section dedicated to the Lightweight chassis problems.  Would we keep posts on wiring in the mechanical section of the forum, for example?  Yes, maybe no one spotted this error for a while, but it's not helpful to have a disorganised forum IMO

I have moved the threads that don't appear relevant to the link lightweight to other sections.

I'm not planning on making a habit of doing this, there is probably a lot of other historic threads in the wrong sections but it's too big a task to do.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:51 PM, richyb66 said:

I have moved the threads that don't appear relevant to the link lightweight to other sections.

I'm not planning on making a habit of doing this, there is probably a lot of other historic threads in the wrong sections but it's too big a task to do.

Thanks, Richyb, appreciated 👍👍

• 3 months later...

Hi. i'm new to here and this is my 1st attempt at building a kit car so please bear with me. I have for my sins obtained a Robin Hood Lightweight brought cheaply on a spur of the moment decision without too much research and its not until now looking into things that i'm becoming aware of the issues with the monocoque set up. My ultimate plan over time is to get the car on the road so any helpful info you guys could give me in the extra work needed to pass the IVA would be much appreciated. Do any of you have any pictures or details that you could send me please.