Pinto 2.0 Problems

Guest Jet Jock

Guest Jet Jock

I recently acquired a Pinto powered Luego.

I'm having a lot of problems with getting the engine to run smoothly!!!

Current setup is twin DHLA 40, Newman fast road cam.

I have replaced all ignition components checked ignition timing, cam timing and valve clearances.

The car runs very erratically, constantly backfiring and spitting flames from the carb. it's as if its running on 3 cylinders and struggles to return to idle when revved?

I have done a compression test and got 3 cylinders reading 190 and No3 cylinder 160 and 190 when I squirt a little oil in the cylinder.

It's probably worth mentioning that the car has stood for 6 years and not really used.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark as youve already checked ignition, cam and valves, id start with the carbs. Compression could be better on 3, but not a real problem unless its 3 that spitting back?

They have numerous gaskets and diaphragms that could have dried up over 6 years. Spitting back from a carb is most often a weak mixture. Also check for any manifold air leaks, including cracked pipes for servo, dizzy etc.

This guy is a real whiz.....http://www.dvandrews.co.uk/

Also do a search here for "spitting and backfiring" its  a common question.

Guest Jet Jock

Thanks Bob, I go through the carbs and check the things you suggest.

I also noticed the the idle mixture screws on my DHLA 40G's are non adjustable, they have a one way tamperproof screw, is this a problem for me?

Edited by Jet Jock

22 hours ago, Jet Jock said:

I recently acquired a Pinto powered Luego.

I'm having a lot of problems with getting the engine to run smoothly!!!

Current setup is twin DHLA 40, Newman fast road cam.

I have replaced all ignition components checked ignition timing, cam timing and valve clearances.

The car runs very erratically, constantly backfiring and spitting flames from the carb. it's as if its running on 3 cylinders and struggles to return to idle when revved?

I have done a compression test and got 3 cylinders reading 190 and No3 cylinder 160 and 190 when I squirt a little oil in the cylinder.

It's probably worth mentioning that the car has stood for 6 years and not really used.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mark

hi Mark mine was doing the same thing shortly after i got it, ended up being the lock nut on the tappet adjuster had come slack.  The one behind the carb is hard to get at to tighten if the carb is on the engine. Just a thought.

Ive had a look into your carbs, the G model was designed as an emissions model, and is substantially different internally from the regular DHLA, and designed to be tamper proof. You may be stuck with them as they are. Search for DHLA G theres some info out there, mostly suggesting replacing them. Sorry!

But check the other stuff too.

Good luck,